cast or as some call pot aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cast or as some call pot aluminum

what filler rod is best to use on cast alum. would work best? this on an old worm gear drive cover on a skill saw thank's for any hep!!!!!
    lincoln pt225
    hack saw & a hammer
    oh & a shovel

4043 is what I used when I welded up one for my uncle and its held for a year

Steve
    Dont force it, use a BIGGER hammer.

Linde VI-252C and Linde wire feeder.
    Hobart Cyberwave 300c.
    HH 140.
    Miller Big 40.
    Lincoln SAE 200J.
    Hobart GR-303.
    Lincoln tombstone welder.

Comment

Hey walker d,
      Everything that is classified "diecast" or "potmetal" is a composition of garbage metals with aluminum, zinc, brass, copper, and antimony which are melted together & cast. The compositions vary and at times are a pain to repair. I found a repair rod for this material 10 years ago called HTS-735 from a fellow, Charles Kimbrough in Texas. I have done extensive repairs with potmetal with superb results with this rod. I believe he has improved this rod to the new offering he sells on E-Bay. It must be stressed that as with alum./alum.alloy, any diecast composition repair area has to be very clean to have a strong bond. I use a SS brush & acetone with all aluminum. This rod would be classified more a "brazing" rod than welding rod and a little practice on scrap will allow you to get the feel of using it. Quite easy. Hope this helps a bit. Here is the E-Bay listing. Good luck...... Denny

http://cgi.ebay.com/1USA-WELDING-ROD...3%3A3|294%3A50
      Complete weld/mach./fab shop
      Mobile unit

"A man's word is his honor...without honor, there is nothing."

"Words are like bullets.... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back."

"I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the American Flag & the US Constitution."

Comment

Not all aluminum cast is potmetal.

Comment

i'm pretty sure it's cast alum. thanks for the replies all and have a merry christmas to you all
          lincoln pt225
          hack saw & a hammer
          oh & a shovel

Comment

thought i would get more reply's and option's !!!!!!!!! thanks to those who did
            lincoln pt225
            hack saw & a hammer
            oh & a shovel

Comment

Best way to tell if it's pot metal is pot metal is a good bit heavier.
              They don't make hand saws out of it tho...way to heavy to sell them.
              They do make saws out of mag sometimes tho as well as chainsaws etc...
              Simply see if it "pools" with the tig and you will know if you can weld it.
              About the craziest metal I've found is aftermarket door handles from Motormight. Even the splatter is like it's chrome.
              Miller Dynasty 700...oh yea baby!
              MM 350P PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
              Miller Bobcat 225 NT
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller 30-A spoolgun
              Airco 300 Heliwelder (465 amp and made by Miller)
              Miller Spectrum 300
              Lincoln SP-135-Plus (down the road now)

Comment

Working...
              X