tig welder problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tig welder problem

I have a hobart handler the same thing as an econotig.The problem is I can't get a clean stable arc to save my life. This is a brand new machine and i've been tig welding for 16 years. So what gives? The weld actually looks like a stick weld it has scale and porosity, and spits and sputters like its not getting shielding gas, which i've already checked. There's got to be something i'm missing. It's a 220 single phase machine, could it be a power problem? Any and I mean any help would be greatly appreciated, before i send this machine sailing across my shop!

Polarity???

GTAW EN

Comment

100% argon? Or AR / HE

Can you hear the gas flow at the cup?
      9-11-2001......We Will Never Forget

Retired desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

I tried it on stainless and mild steel polarity on - dc my shielding gas is 100% argon, i've even swapped bottles with a bottle i've been using that is almost empty. But had the same results. The machine arc welds fine??? I went as far as trying it at +dc just to see, thinking something is crossed but no avail???

Comment

You indicated you have swapped bottles which leads me to think you have another tig setup. You could swap tig rig, hoses etc to see if thats the issue.

If I misread that then foorgive me.

It is possible someone gave you a bottle (or two) marked Argon that are actually 75/25 Ar CO2.

What model machine do you have ? If you are running you gas through the machine, try hooking it directly to the torch. Maybe the soleniod is bad or leaking. Do you hear any clicking from the machine ?
          Last edited by G Austin; 11-05-2008, 10:57 AM. Reason: Added statement re solenoid
          Good day

Gerald Austin
          http://www.weldingdata.com

Comment

Yeah, you've got a shielding gas problem somewhere. I suspect there might be a cut hose, faulty solenoid as previous poster said, or something like that sucking air into the gas stream. You just need to do some basic troubleshooting. The first thing I'd recommend is call 1-800-332-3281 and talk to Hobart's tech folks, they're the best around and they'll help you sort it out.
            Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

I've not used a Hobart Handler but did use an Econotig for several months last year. During that time I let my buddy use my TA 300 amp inverter for some low amperage welding and I used his Econotig. In my hands the Econotig did not weld as nicely as my own inverter unit but it produced satisfactory welds in both steel and aluminum. You must have some shielding gas or setup issues that are the cause of your poor welds.
              LarryL

Comment

I checked for leaks from the tank, the regulator, and the hose going into the machine....still nothing??? Like i said it's brand new....It's definately 100% argon....i'm frustrated because this ain't my first welder, just my first problem....I don't know how to check the solenoid but i totally agree with you guys, it welds like its not getting gas i do have gas coming out when i engage the foot pedal...any and all advice welcome?!?

Comment

Under warranty?

Southside, if it's a brand new Hobart welder, it should still be under warranty, shouldn't it? You might consider taking it in to your local Hobart dealership and have them look it over.
                  LarryL

Comment

If you don't want to take advantage of the warranty......then put a HELIUM BOTTLE on it and use it for blowing up balloons..... LMAO
                    Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
                    Hobart Beta Mig 200
                    Twenty seven Hammers
                    Three Crow Bars
                    One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Originally posted by B_C View Post
                      If you don't want to take advantage of the warranty......then put a HELIUM BOTTLE on it and use it for blowing up balloons..... LMAO
                      Dang, that's funny!
                      Two turn tables and a microphone.

Comment

Is your flowmeter set to 15cfh?
                        9-11-2001......We Will Never Forget

Retired desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

Sounds like he wants to gripe more than actually fix the problem.
                          Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
                          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Found the problem! The tungston collet in the torch is not the proper part. Remember this thing is brand new. The collet is to long and when depressed it is blocking the gas ports. The gas was coming out but it was blowing away from the weld. Researched the part and it's for a different torch. Don't quite know how something like that would happen, butt **** it's working great now and i'm happy. Thanks alot for all the help fella's I checked everything you guys mentioned even thought about the balloon idea.
                            Thanks again Rich

Comment

Happy tigging trails to you!

We're glad that you found the cause of the problem, Rich!
                              LarryL

Comment

Working...
                              X