X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help me identify this older P&H welder

Can you help me identify this older P&H welder

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a P&H ARC WELDER Model TSP 300 HFGW that I would like to learn more about. This is old and very heavy with a 60% duty cycle. I've searched some and find a couple of threads on the P&H that mentions an Army manual for a P&H welder online but the LINK is not given for it. Can anyone share that manual link with me so I'll have something to read. I have a lot to learn.

What does the TSP stand for? HFGW (high frequency gas welder)? The unit I have is an AC only welder (no DC), most others I've found are both AC and DC. I do also have the foot sw., TIG torch, circulating pump (hoses - pump to welder are shot), reg/flowmeter and a big full tank of Argon. I read in one of the post on the P&H welders that you can feed them 60 Amps (I think it calls for ~85 at full tilt) and that would be where I start. I have 150 amps available in the panel but I wired my welder plugs for 60 and that should be enough to evaluate this machine.

Anyway, if anyone can enlighten me about this welder I promise to get my 65 year old gray matter to suck it up. Thanks, Steve

If you can, post a pic of the front panel. I can't guess what the letters in the nomenclature mean, and it's probably not important anyway!

If you plug it in, and it does it's trick, it would seem to be all good, no?

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    MM 210 w/3035, BWE
    HH 210 w/DP 3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
    Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

No offense but with all the newest technology out there why would you even want that thing in your shop? Do yourself a favor and buy something newer
      if your truly interested in doing nice work...
      Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
      Hobart Beta Mig 200
      Twenty seven Hammers
      Three Crow Bars
      One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Some P&H welders were made by Miller Electric but don't know if yours was made by Miller.

Comment

Looks rough on the outside (23 years stored under tarps) but very fresh inside.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...Picture001.jpg

A new TIG outfit would be nice. Wonder what a comparable machine w/60% duty cycle might cost? This one will set in an enclosure external to my hobby shop under the stairs to the second floor.

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

P&h

The unit you have was manufactured by Regent equipment manufactureing co. at 455 King st. W. in toronto On. Unfortunatly they are no longer with us. I have some information on these if you need it. I don't have a scanner so I could perhaps fax some pages to you?
            O.F.

Comment

Originally posted by old fart View Post
              The unit you have was manufactured by Regent equipment manufactureing co. at 455 King st. W. in toronto On. Unfortunatly they are no longer with us. I have some information on these if you need it. I don't have a scanner so I could perhaps fax some pages to you?
              O.F.
              Great! I sent you a PM. Thanks, Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve N Mi View Post
                Can you help me identify this older P&H welder

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a P&H ARC WELDER Model TSP 300 HFGW that I would like to learn more about. This is old and very heavy with a 60% duty cycle. I've searched some and find a couple of threads on the P&H that mentions an Army manual for a P&H welder online but the LINK is not given for it. Can anyone share that manual link with me so I'll have something to read. I have a lot to learn.

What does the TSP stand for? HFGW (high frequency gas welder)? The unit I have is an AC only welder (no DC), most others I've found are both AC and DC. I do also have the foot sw., TIG torch, circulating pump (hoses - pump to welder are shot), reg/flowmeter and a big full tank of Argon. I read in one of the post on the P&H welders that you can feed them 60 Amps (I think it calls for ~85 at full tilt) and that would be where I start. I have 150 amps available in the panel but I wired my welder plugs for 60 and that should be enough to evaluate this machine.

Anyway, if anyone can enlighten me about this welder I promise to get my 65 year old gray matter to suck it up. Thanks, Steve
                Steve,

http://www.141.com/chevy/misc/p&h-dar-300-manual.pdf

Here is the link to the P&H army service manual. Based on the picture you posted later the manual should cover you for the most part. There will be differences but not enough to keep you from working on it. The P&H 300 is a good welder. Only issue will be the selenium rectifier, eventually it will fail but all you have to do is find 4 large diodes to replace it with.

No offense to other posts but newer technology is NOT always better. I'd rather have a non-solid state welder when possible. Just try and find parts 20 years from now for the welders that are currently on the market.

Hope this helps.

Brad

Hobart BetaMig 200
                Linde HDA-200 AC/DC Tig/Stick
                Dayton Buzzbox

Comment

Thanks Brad, I've already spent more than an hour digging into that manual since you posted the link and will probably need to spend many more to separate what is applicable to my machine. Hopefully old fart will get back to me with info specific to my welder but I have a starting point, again thank you. Steve

Comment

Steve,

Glad to help.

One other thing to possibly worry about would be the Power Factor Correction capacitors. Mine were old and leaking. I found that buying a couple of Motor Run capacitors 40 MFD at 440 vac did the trick. If those are bad you'll find your welders idling current draw from your outlet will be higher than when you're actually welding. So look at those capacitors closely.

I just re-read your original post and apparently your welder is not an DC welder so you don't need to worry about the selenium rectifiers, at least not the big one anyway.

Brad

Hobart BetaMig 200
                    Dayton Buzzbox

Comment

Brad, even with it being an AC welder only there are some stacked plate selenium rectifiers in it - possibly for the control ckt. or the high frequency portion, I don't know yet. I read your earlier post about substituting the motor capacitors, 40 MFD at 440 vac for the PFC caps. Thanks, Steve

Comment

Steve,

The normal AC/DC P&H had three selenium rectifiers. A real big honker that provided the DC for welding, a small one for control voltage and a super small one for additional control voltage.

I read somewhere that its not IF your selenium rectifier will die its WHEN your selenium rectifier dies. The large one on my P&H died last year and VICEGRIP was kind enough to send me a set of four super duty diodes to solve my problem.

The P&H is a nice welder. Welds as smooth as anything I've ever used before (or since!).

Oh yeah, if you do replace those capacitors make sure you use "run" capacitors and not "start" capacitors. The "start" capacitors won't last long because they aren't made for continuous duty.

Brad

Hobart BetaMig 200
                        Dayton Buzzbox

Comment

Directed to Old Fart, I too have a DAR 300 HFGW with I believe to be a bad Selenium Bridge Rectifier. I am in need of a manual ( readable schematic at least) The Army tech manual covers a later version and is barely readable and not the same. I need to know the rectifier configuration so I. An replace it with modern silicon diodes. I think it is two full wave bridges in parallel using multi series seleniums for each diode. I would be glad to pay you for a manual or a readable schematic by itself. Thanks Dale Johnson 9723427726

Comment

The ARMY manual might not be helpful if you are needing service information. I’ve owned and used a DAR 300 HFGW for 30 years and it was worked ok until recently when the DC developed a problem resulting in 50 or so amps present at the ground lead without the the electrode connected to anything. The AC works fine and I highly suspect the massive Selenium rectifier to be the culprit. I’ve never used its TIG capability but it is one heck of a stick machine if the 800 lbs. isn’t an issue. The best of luck to you and if I can be of any help, I would be glad to try. ..,Dale

Comment

Dale, I have a copy of the P&H AC/DC-300HF parts manual specification # 2100H1925.

The file size is about 12.5 meg but I think I can rescan it to make a smaller file size.

PM me with your email address if interested.

Brad

Hobart BetaMig 200
                              Dayton Buzzbox

Comment

Working...
                              X