No announcement yet.

purchasing new unit, what else to buy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocky - it must be interesting trying to get visitors to sit in that chair. "Here just sit here and put this thing with wire on your head while I make some adjustments!
    Lincoln 175HD
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Smith AW1, Dillon (Henrob) Mark III & Smith Quickbraze Little Torch

Comment

Y,know, as I look at that (excellent) torch holder, I think an old Box End Wrench of the right size would be perfect...already has that angle, the loop, etc. Just cut 'er off, and affix to a big magnet ala DDA!
      "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Originally posted by Hotfoot View Post
        Y,know, as I look at that (excellent) torch holder, I think an old Box End Wrench of the right size would be perfect...already has that angle, the loop, etc. Just cut 'er off, and affix to a big magnet ala DDA!
        I dunno, HF...with a magnet, it would hafta be strong, cuz the worst thing to have happen is the torch to fall in the middle of a job, and break the ceramic cup. The torch is usually on the right side, or left side, (if you're wrong-hander) so making it more permanent is a good thing...you can see my home shop torch holder in this picture, it has the tube for the torch and a 1/2 x 1/8 x 2 above and below the table surface, tight enough, so you have to force it onto the table...it can be moved to the other side for a south-paw.
        Arcin' and sparkin', Rocky D <><
        Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
        IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THANK A TEACHER...
        IF YOU'RE READING THIS IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER!

Comment

Originally posted by mkehler View Post
          Its got a 'slow/fast' setting and a 'sensitive hi/lo' setting, thats it.

okay, the price isn't THAT insane for you guys in the US probably, but for here locally it is... a year and a bit ago they quoted me $2700cdn, which was probably $2500usd at that exchange rate at the time. i got it for $2k canadian (list here is $3050 or so)... IOC is selling them for around $1900usd with free shipping, but I would have had to pay 6% duty, so it actually would have been more expensive to get it from the US. either way, i'm happy with it.
          Slow/fast is the delay setting, and sensitivity will keep it from going dark in the sunlight, or from reflection on your table, when you don't want it to. For example, if the hood darkens when you are looking at the work before you strike an arc, you back off the sensitivity, till hood lightens up. The slow /fast setting, is for when you are TIG welding and it will stay dark a tad longer, so you don't see the bright white tungsten after you finish your weld.
          Arcin' and sparkin', Rocky D <><
          Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
          IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THANK A TEACHER...
          IF YOU'RE READING THIS IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER!

Comment

Originally posted by Hotfoot View Post
            This ain't the best Photochopping, but maybe you could use a cheap combination wrench and bend each end up; the box end supports the torch cup and the open end cradles the cable. Then fasten your magnet or whatever other mounting you use through the center of the handle...
            Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Working...
            X