No announcement yet.

purchasing new unit, what else to buy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• purchasing new unit, what else to buy?

Well I'm finally ready to purchase a TIG this week, I've decided on Syncrowave 200 runner package. Besides that, what else should I pick up, or what else would I actually *need* to get going? At first I will be working with mostly aluminum. I'm currently TIG-ignorant.

thanks guys
    Matt

TIG-norant??? I prefer the term TIG illiterate.

You will want tungstens, collets and collet bodies for all the different sizes of tungs you will have and extra nozzles sized for the various tungstens. Some LWS sell a kit that will have several sizes to get you started. Not the cheapest way to do it, but it will get you started. You will also need a cyl of Argon.....150cf min. Since you are doing alu, do you have a dedicated stainless brush for oxide removal? If not......get one. Acetone for cleaning filler and base metal....TIG gloves and filler should round out the deal.

I am just starting the TIG deal myself. That is pretty much the list I used to start with. So far, I am not running into any shortfalls. Getting or making a magnetic torch holder should be pretty high on the list. The nozzles don't like being drug off thetable and onto the floor.
    Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Does that syncro package come with a foot pedal? When i bought my syncrowave 250 back in '98 the package included the rolling assembly, the cooler, but no foot pedal or torch.

Comment

I like that..TIG-norant....cool! You don't need a lot of different size tungsten, 3/32" would be best, 2% thoriated will do all your welding needs. A gas screen lens is good for steel, and other metals you do DC on, but for aluminum the collet body is best to handle the HF AC current. I have a 200cf tank of argon, which I find lasts a long time...it all depends on how much you use it, of course. I have two tanks of each gas I need, so if one runs out, in the middle of a job, I have a spare. A flow meter is best for adjusting gas flow...welding aluminum takes less gas than does steel. You will need to make a rod holder that will keep you rod clean, and away from moisture...and a belt sander for sharpening tungsten. You will need a holder for your torch, so you don't get into the habit of throwing your torch oner your leg, and stabbing your self...here's what I came up with...a bit extreme, but works like a charm.

A rod holder:

Torch with gas screen lens:

Alternate torch holder:
        Arcin' and sparkin', Rocky D <><
        Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
        IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THANK A TEACHER...
        IF YOU'RE READING THIS IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER!

Comment

The torch holder is a good idea, Rocky. I am about to build one. My original idea is way more complicated than the ring like yours...I will probably copy yours. Just mine will be on a magnetic ground magnet so I can move it aorund.
          Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Wow, great info guys, thanks a bunch. I would prefer to purchase from my LWS, and would assume they would point me in the right direction for anything else I'd need, but since Canadian dollar is at par right now... I can get the runner package from IOC for just over $2000, and locally the same unit is around $2700 last time I checked (I live 45minutes from the border, so even after paying duty, I'm saving over $500). I already verified with Miller the US and Canadian machines are identical, and warranty will not be an issue.

I'll definitely continue my research here and on millers site though as well.

Matt

Comment

Sometimes, Matt your LWS will match the online price, or close to it....then you will have customer support right there. I did that with my LWS and the came down to their cost plus 10%...can't pass up a deal like that! Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky D View Post
                Sometimes, Matt your LWS will match the online price, or close to it....then you will have customer support right there. I did that with my LWS and the came down to their cost plus 10%...can't pass up a deal like that! Just a thought.
                Hey Rocky. thats exactly what I want to do, even if the LWS can't match the price, if they can come close, I'd prefer to purchase from them. The issue is that if they obtained their Syncro's a while ago when our dollar was not as strong, they won't have a chance of even coming close to IOC's pricing, plus I'm sure IOC sells 10x more volume and their cost lowers accordingly. And that saved $500 can buy me a lot of extras

But I'll definitely try local first.

Here is a couple pics of the shop we just built. 40x48 with 18foot ceilings. In the 2nd pic at the far top left, is an area about 12x10 where the metal/fab work will happen (although in the pic that area looks about half that size). The mezzanine" ceiling and everything are metal or fireguard, so its nice and contained. Still messy, this week we should finish up with our shelving and running air lines, and then the fun begins !

Matt
                Last edited by mkehler; 10-14-2007, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Matt... I'm sick
                  I mean swell shop

Comment

Well called my LWS today just to get 'budgetary' pricing on the Sync200... I told him I was ready to buy soon and just asked what the sticker price was. After he realized I was serious, he gave me an insanely cheap price over the phone, so I'm going to pick it up tommorow.

Finally the 2 year wait is over! Now I just have to learn how to use a TIG...
                    Matt

Comment

.................hmmmmmmm..........exactly how insane is "insane"???? Insane enough that we would all get in line for one?
                      Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Matt, what is holding your second floor up and what size is it, I'm curious
                        I did something similar 24 X 24
                        Jim
                        Millermatic 200
                        Hobart Handler 120
                        Black & Decker 14" chopsaw
                        Dewalt 14" chopsaw
                        And a serious big old Wells bandsaw
                        F-550 pick-up

Comment

hey guys just a quick reply. picked it up tuesday and spent an hour playing with it. got a few okay mild steel and aluminum welds. tried the pulsing feature and that was a disaster, I obviously don't know how to set that up, but I'll leave that alone till i get the basics downpat.

one thing for sure, my cheapie autodarkening helmet that works great for MIG, is NOT up to the task of TIG.... man did my eyes hurt, gotta rectify that asap.

Comment

Helmet needs a delay feature. What was the insane price??? we all want to know!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky D View Post
                              Helmet needs a delay feature. What was the insane price??? we all want to know!
                              Its got a 'slow/fast' setting and a 'sensitive hi/lo' setting, thats it.

okay, the price isn't THAT insane for you guys in the US probably, but for here locally it is... a year and a bit ago they quoted me $2700cdn, which was probably $2500usd at that exchange rate at the time. i got it for $2k canadian (list here is $3050 or so)... IOC is selling them for around $1900usd with free shipping, but I would have had to pay 6% duty, so it actually would have been more expensive to get it from the US. either way, i'm happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X