Convert AC stick to DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert AC stick to DC

I’ve seen a few videos on converting a AC stick welder to a DC welder. I have a couple of older AC stick welders I thought about converting one of them. Anyone have any experience on the conversion?

My dad converted a big old Hobart when I was a kid. It was way worth it back then. Probably depends on the machines in question and your ability to assemble a converter yourself with cheap parts.

Comment

Possibly....

https://www.amazon.com/Single-Phase-...23502326&psc=1
      "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

My brother in law converted a Lincoln recently. He said it worked great. Welded 7018 very well! He used a 300 amp bridge rectifier. Click image for larger version

Name:	AE0B64D2-F45C-4532-B7CB-58C590320420.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	713346

Comment

I have a Miller Thunderbolt I’m thinking of converting. But I would like to easily change back to AC.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	22BB9754-70F3-41A6-821E-92F5594136A3.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	713348

Comment

Why convert if you going to change it back? Could always unwire it I guess.
            http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

I like that one on the Lincoln. And to switch back to AC, just put the welding leads on the same terminals as the short leads going into machine. No current will go through the rectifier.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                I like that one on the Lincoln. And to switch back to AC, just put the welding leads on the same terminals as the short leads going into machine. No current will go through the rectifier.
                My thoughts exactly...
                "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Unless you sometimes weld on magnetized material and need to avoid arc distortion or you need to remind yourself how much rougher AC is I see no need to covert back.
                  Blacksmith
                  Stickmate LX AC/DC
                  Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
                  Hand cranked coal forge
                  Freon bottle propane forge
                  HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

So, is the DC amps going to be half of what the AC settings are on the welder?
                    Hobart beta-mig 2510 Mig welder
                    Victor OA Welding/Cutting Rig
                    Century 295 amp Stick welder bought 30+ years ago

Comment

Working...
                    X