Need help Century Welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help Century Welder

Picked up this welder last fall and am trying to figure out how to hook up the DC side of it.
    Works great with the AC side.
    I am guessing I need to hook the cables from the side of the convertor to the welder somehow but when I tried it once it buzzed really load and popped the breaker.

The work lead and stinger lead should just plug into the DC out put Would be my guess....And you set the heat according to chart on top left...
    "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

I hooked the work lead and the stinger lead to the DC output jacks and I took the short leads from the side of the DC convertor hooked one up to the AC neg and one to the AC high. Had the heat set at 95 (lowest setting) turned the welder on it buzzed loud for 10 seconds and the wall breaker popped.

Comment

Sounds like there is a problem with shorted rectifier stack that converts AC to DC.... Got pics of "short" leads that connect to AC outputs?

Seems a lot of units for sale at auctions (google image search) and such. but no any with what appears to be add on DC converter....
        "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Serial number for the convertor is W0457 Serial number for the welder is W02??.

I also found this ad from 1975 for a 131-20 convertor. Guessing since mine is a smaller number it is older?

Comment

Looks like you shorted it out. The set up that I see looking at pics is that you only plug the electrode cable into the desired polarity[ DC+ or DC- ] the ground cable plug should be connected to the other DC on the top only. NOTHING CROSSED FROM THE AC OUTPUT OR GROUND PLUGS. There looks to be only one range of heats used on the crank settings that you convert using the AC to DC chart on top right.
            You later showed SHORT LEADS on the side of the welder this would be the AC input to the DC converter box. One of these leads should go to ground on the front of the welder. The other should go to the desired current range {LOW, MED, or HIGH}
            Last edited by Alphonse; 04-25-2021, 10:30 AM.
            Century 250 AC/DC, MidStates 300 AC stick welders, Century WF flux core welder Harris weld/cut outfit Saws, Mill, Lathe, grinders ect.!

SEE MY INFORMATIVE VIDEOS AT http://www.youtube.com/user/alpho52

Comment

Originally posted by Alphonse View Post
              You later showed SHORT LEADS on the side of the welder this would be the AC input to the DC converter box. One of these leads should go to ground on the front of the welder. The other should go to the desired current range {LOW, MED, or HIGH}
              This is what I did and it buzzed and popped.

I plan on pulling the cover again if it ever decides to warm up around here. I picked it really cheap because the guy said it smells bad when he turned it on last. It was half full of mouse nest and acorn hulls.

Comment

Mice like to chew off wire insulation for their nests.
                Blacksmith
                Stickmate LX AC/DC
                Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
                Hand cranked coal forge
                Freon bottle propane forge
                HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Working...
                X