Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sberry
    replied
    Agree, dont get hung on the thickness. These little DC machines are VERY good, good arc. I got 10 machines,,, they still my go too stick in the shop. Click image for larger version

Name:	Lincoln leads.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	576.0 KB
ID:	710799

Leave a comment:

• Hunt4weld
    replied
    Ok, thanks for the heads up

Leave a comment:

• Northweldor
    replied
    Originally posted by Hunt4weld View Post
    Does anything need changed other than the type of wire used for flux core compared to Mig(inside the machine wiring wise?) Or do I just switch the wire out and can flux core weld,l my tank and lines attached to the welder but just turned off?
    Change polarity, See your manual.

Leave a comment:

• Hunt4weld
    replied
    Does anything need changed other than the type of wire used for flux core compared to Mig(inside the machine wiring wise?) Or do I just switch the wire out and can flux core weld,l my tank and lines attached to the welder but just turned off?

Leave a comment:

• Hunt4weld
    replied
    Thanks for the in depth explanation, much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Northweldor
    replied
    Originally posted by Hunt4weld View Post
    Ok, so is 150 amps of DC stick better suited to penetrate deeper on thicker welds with less welding experience than my hh190 on mig setting?( If I'm understanding correctly the flux core has better penetration and would be stronger with less experience in welding)
    thanks Matt
    Many GMAW weldors have little experience with FCAW, and seldom use the process, because it is more difficult to make visually appealing welds with FCAW. Also, many GMAW weldors have never learned SMAW, because GMAW is so much easier.

SMAW is harder to learn, but once you are experienced, allows you to weld a much greater variety of materials in all positions. The major problem with the process is that it is much slower than GMAW or FCAW.

Because, the SMAW process is slower, it is also possible to vary technique to avoid weld faults which are often welded over with the steady stream of molten metal in GMAW. Also, much more versatility in out-of-position welding is available.

No process benefits from "less welding experience", so I am not sure about your question, but GMAW generally is the easiest of the main welding processes to learn. Penetration in all processes is highly dependent on electrode choice, joint design, and other factors, but FCAW and SMAW will generally produce more concentrated heat than the short circuit process on a GMAW machine.

Finally, a half-century ago, when GMAW machines were very expensive, many were predicting that SMAW would soon be less used than OAW , but good SMAW weldors are still in demand today, although FCAW and MCAW are the quickly becoming the most used processes in industry.

Leave a comment:

• Dale M.
    replied
    Pretty impresses with weld information found in these links....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xod-ByrxHg4

http://weldingtipsandtricks.com

Leave a comment:

• Hobart Expert
    replied
    Fluxcore and stick are both going to be a little more forgiving when it comes to penetration on thicker materials than solid wire. They both dig into the material a little bit more naturally. I would reccomend before you spend money on a new machine that you go buy a 4" spool of fluxcore (get a name brand here, it makes a difference) and do some test welds on some thicker material to see if you like it. I would also recommend watching a video on setup/welding with fluxcore before you get started.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Yes. Your machine will do significantly thicker with FCAW than GMAW.

And, of course, you still get GOOD at it before you weld something critical.

Leave a comment:

• Hunt4weld
    replied
    Ok, so is 150 amps of DC stick better suited to penetrate deeper on thicker welds with less welding experience than my hh190 on mig setting?( If I'm understanding correctly the flux core has better penetration and would be stronger with less experience in welding)
    thanks Matt

Leave a comment:

• Hobart Expert
    replied
    I would agree with what the others have said, the HH 190 is capable of 5/16" single pass and thicker if you multipass, however it is much more difficult to get the penetration and quality from a mig weld the thicker you get. The quality is very much dependent on user skill, the same can be said for stick but in my experience it is much easier to get quality results on thicker material with stick or flux-core than solid wire mig, especially if you're at the upper limit of what the machine is capable of.

Leave a comment:

• Hunt4weld
    replied
    My main reason for looking at stick welders is because I thought I was limited to what the chart on the inside of the door of my h h 190 showed as Max thickness (5/16" steel)
    This this is the reason why I've been asking so many questions because I was hesitant about buying a stick welder without knowing their capabilities and whether they are above and beyond what my current welder can do...(I need to watch more videos on multipass welding I guess to grasp what the HH 190s abilities are on thicker steel than 5/16?)
    Thanks for the info fellas, Matt

Leave a comment:

• Hunt4weld
    replied
    Okay I have not tried flux core wire welding as soon as I bought the Welder I got a tank and started that way...

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    There are reasons to get a Stick welder, but you have a VERY good MIG welder that will probably do what you need done, especially with a good flux-cored wire, which has more penetration, is tolerant of contaminants, doesn't care about wind, and doesn't require the shielding gas bottle to be lugged around with the machine.

You WILL, however, work on something where it is very difficult or impossible to get that relatively large MIG gun into position. Many times, I'll bend a stick so I can reach around obstructions.

It's just a question of whether you have room and budget for another machine to increase your flexibility.
    Last edited by MAC702; 07-05-2020, 09:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Hunt4weld
    replied
    Ok got it(it doesn't seam to be worth it to me to spend 4-500$ on a stick welder if my mig can weld thicker than 5/16" with multi pass)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X