No announcement yet.

Miller thunderbolt/ thunderstruck series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluxcore and stick are both going to be a little more forgiving when it comes to penetration on thicker materials than solid wire. They both dig into the material a little bit more naturally. I would reccomend before you spend money on a new machine that you go buy a 4" spool of fluxcore (get a name brand here, it makes a difference) and do some test welds on some thicker material to see if you like it. I would also recommend watching a video on setup/welding with fluxcore before you get started.

Comment

Pretty impresses with weld information found in these links....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xod-ByrxHg4

http://weldingtipsandtricks.com

"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt4weld View Post
        Ok, so is 150 amps of DC stick better suited to penetrate deeper on thicker welds with less welding experience than my hh190 on mig setting?( If I'm understanding correctly the flux core has better penetration and would be stronger with less experience in welding)
        thanks Matt
        Many GMAW weldors have little experience with FCAW, and seldom use the process, because it is more difficult to make visually appealing welds with FCAW. Also, many GMAW weldors have never learned SMAW, because GMAW is so much easier.

SMAW is harder to learn, but once you are experienced, allows you to weld a much greater variety of materials in all positions. The major problem with the process is that it is much slower than GMAW or FCAW.

Because, the SMAW process is slower, it is also possible to vary technique to avoid weld faults which are often welded over with the steady stream of molten metal in GMAW. Also, much more versatility in out-of-position welding is available.

No process benefits from "less welding experience", so I am not sure about your question, but GMAW generally is the easiest of the main welding processes to learn. Penetration in all processes is highly dependent on electrode choice, joint design, and other factors, but FCAW and SMAW will generally produce more concentrated heat than the short circuit process on a GMAW machine.

Finally, a half-century ago, when GMAW machines were very expensive, many were predicting that SMAW would soon be less used than OAW , but good SMAW weldors are still in demand today, although FCAW and MCAW are the quickly becoming the most used processes in industry.

Comment

Thanks for the in depth explanation, much appreciated.

Comment

Does anything need changed other than the type of wire used for flux core compared to Mig(inside the machine wiring wise?) Or do I just switch the wire out and can flux core weld,l my tank and lines attached to the welder but just turned off?

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt4weld View Post
              Does anything need changed other than the type of wire used for flux core compared to Mig(inside the machine wiring wise?) Or do I just switch the wire out and can flux core weld,l my tank and lines attached to the welder but just turned off?
              Change polarity, See your manual.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the heads up

Comment

Agree, dont get hung on the thickness. These little DC machines are VERY good, good arc. I got 10 machines,,, they still my go too stick in the shop. Click image for larger version

Name:	Lincoln leads.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	576.0 KB
ID:	710799
                  http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Working...
                  X