No announcement yet.

Miller thunderbolt/ thunderstruck series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The orange circled chart is what I'm referring to showing 5/16" max thickness ( this seams like it varies alot from manufacturer but of same sizes?) Some show 3/8" some show 1/4"( how can there be that much variation in welding thickness of the same size or amperage welders in stick mode?)

Comment

The thicknesses are not what the machine can do. It's what some schmuck in the marketing department thinks they can get away with saying it can do.

The DC current (be more careful with which term you are using) is often more limited than the AC current on this class of machine.

Your pic was too cropped and not in enough focus for me to get anything out of it for your question. Note that on the AC side, there are two ranges. One goes much higher, the other goes slightly lower but especially has finer adjustment.

None of these machines will be the limiting factor on your projects. As your skills improve, you can do those repairs with any of them. None of them will make up for experience.
      Last edited by MAC702; 07-05-2020, 04:53 AM.

Comment

So this chart means what?
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt4weld View Post
          So this chart means what?
          It gives you the approximate rang of amperage you should use for some sizes of rod and some types of material. With experience, you will never look at it again. It is a guide for those with limited experience.

Comment

Ok, max DC weld voltage is showing as 150 on this Miller thunderbolt 230 so I'm not sure why it's shown as a 230?
            Are you referring to the AMPERAGE range on the front of the machine?

Comment

Yes, so with DC voltage selected at this machine max setting of 150 amps it can weld how thick of mild steel with good penetration?
              i know my Hobart handler 190 shows 5/16" thick.
              I guess what I need to know is, does a DC stick welder of this class make sense to buy if I already have the hh 190?( I realize there different machine s all together but does it make sense to have this welder as an option to weld anything thicker than the mig can do?)
              Thanks Matt

Comment

Yes, so with DC voltage selected at this machine max setting of 150 amps it can weld how thick of mild steel with good penetration?
                i know my Hobart handler 190 shows 5/16" thick.
                I guess what I need to know is, does a DC stick welder of this class make sense to buy if I already have the hh 190?( I realize there different machine s all together but does it make sense to have this welder as an option to weld anything thicker than the mig can do?)
                Thanks Matt
                1) As thick as you want, with multi-passes. Same for your Hobart 190, as said before.

2) Yes, for many reasons other than thickness of material.

Comment

If you have MIG that will meet your requirements, why would you want stick..... I walked away from stick many years ago for MIG and have never looked back....

The same theory for multi pass for materials thicker then "chart" works on both machines....

Dale
                  "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Ok got it(it doesn't seam to be worth it to me to spend 4-500$ on a stick welder if my mig can weld thicker than 5/16" with multi pass)

Comment

There are reasons to get a Stick welder, but you have a VERY good MIG welder that will probably do what you need done, especially with a good flux-cored wire, which has more penetration, is tolerant of contaminants, doesn't care about wind, and doesn't require the shielding gas bottle to be lugged around with the machine.

You WILL, however, work on something where it is very difficult or impossible to get that relatively large MIG gun into position. Many times, I'll bend a stick so I can reach around obstructions.

It's just a question of whether you have room and budget for another machine to increase your flexibility.
                      Last edited by MAC702; 07-05-2020, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Okay I have not tried flux core wire welding as soon as I bought the Welder I got a tank and started that way...

Comment

My main reason for looking at stick welders is because I thought I was limited to what the chart on the inside of the door of my h h 190 showed as Max thickness (5/16" steel)
                          This this is the reason why I've been asking so many questions because I was hesitant about buying a stick welder without knowing their capabilities and whether they are above and beyond what my current welder can do...(I need to watch more videos on multipass welding I guess to grasp what the HH 190s abilities are on thicker steel than 5/16?)
                          Thanks for the info fellas, Matt

Comment

I would agree with what the others have said, the HH 190 is capable of 5/16" single pass and thicker if you multipass, however it is much more difficult to get the penetration and quality from a mig weld the thicker you get. The quality is very much dependent on user skill, the same can be said for stick but in my experience it is much easier to get quality results on thicker material with stick or flux-core than solid wire mig, especially if you're at the upper limit of what the machine is capable of.

Comment

Ok, so is 150 amps of DC stick better suited to penetrate deeper on thicker welds with less welding experience than my hh190 on mig setting?( If I'm understanding correctly the flux core has better penetration and would be stronger with less experience in welding)
                              thanks Matt

Comment

Yes. Your machine will do significantly thicker with FCAW than GMAW.

And, of course, you still get GOOD at it before you weld something critical.

Comment

Working...
                                X