Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More info please on above question

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weldin...20or%20higher.

Comment

So now I'm spam for posting a link to an explanation.

So let's just try again, and you can go to the "welding power supply" article at Wikipedia, and look especially at section 2.3.

Comment

I did not see that you posted a link to an explanation?

​​​I've I've already looked up both welders Manuel's and read through them but what I'm trying to figure out is what people's thoughts are on how important the different duty cycles are and their opinions on them...
          Thanks Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt4weld View Post
            I did not see that you posted a link to an explanation?

​​​I've I've already looked up both welders Manuel's and read through them but what I'm trying to figure out is what people's thoughts are on how important the different duty cycles are and their opinions on them...
            Thanks Matt
            You are not paying attention.

As MAC702 said, and I tried to reinforce, THERE IS NO COMPARISON! These two machines are in totally different classes in price, intended use, and capability, and you should have understood this, if you read (and understood) both manuals.

Also, both welders are capable, in the right weldor's hands, of welding anything of any thickness around the farm. Given enough time, most of us could build an ocean liner with an old, used, $250 Lincoln "tombstone". The job would be done faster and more efficiently with a Maxstar 200 with pulse. What use is this "comparison"?

Last edited by Northweldor; 07-02-2020, 09:19 AM.

Comment

I did not see that you posted a link to an explanation?...
              Sorry. It made more sense on my end because I was looking at my unapproved post. I did a link first, but my post was flagged for spam because of it. So then I told you how to find the Wikipedia article which gives an okay basic description of the difference.

VERY basically, the inverter-based machine will convert to a much higher frequency and then can use a much smaller transformer, at the expense of being a lot more complicated.

Comment

Sorry MAC702, The system apparently automatically did that I'll approve it so the link shows.

Comment

Like the others have said, Comparing an transformer based Mig welder to an inverter based Stick/Tig welder is about the biggest difference you can get. Yes the Maxstar will weld for a longer period of time than the HH 190. A lot of the duty cycles on the Maxstar will depend on what power you have it hooked up to, for example hooking it up to 230v single phase power will give you a different duty cycle than if you hooked it up to 460v 3-phase. And duty cycle is rated as a percentage of 10 minutes, so if the duty cycle is for example 20% @150A you can weld at 150A for 2 minutes out of every 10 without overheating the machine.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation and reinforcement of my thoughts...
                    That's that's all I was looking for when comparing the two was that I was understanding the definition of duty cycle.

The only thing left in my mind is that with understanding all that, is it possible that the 200 could weld thicker than 5/16 in anyone's experience?
                    Thanks Matt

Comment

I'm trying to make a decision on buying it b/c sometimes it would be nice to have a stick welder...

Comment

Yes, as I said in one of my earlier replies, the Maxstar is capable of unlimited thickness when using multiple passes in Stick mode. I don't even think we give it a thickness limitation in the literature for it.

Comment

Ok thanks for the reply

Comment

Thanks for the explanation and reinforcement of my thoughts...
                            That's that's all I was looking for when comparing the two was that I was understanding the definition of duty cycle.

The only thing left in my mind is that with understanding all that, is it possible that the 200 could weld thicker than 5/16 in anyone's experience?
                            Thanks Matt
                            You are misunderstanding the "0ne Pass" concept, which is more of an advertising concept, than a welding concern for a farmer. You won't be doing much welding to code on the farm. so if you decide you need 18 stringers to do the job, that's perfectly OK, as long as they are well done, regardless of the machine.

Here is a brief explanation of this, from "The Fabricator":

https://www.thefabricator.com/thewel...-does-it-take-

Comment

Working...
                            X