Miller 200 compared to Hobart 190?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller 200 compared to Hobart 190?

I own a Hobart 190 and run it on gas mostly, but I have the chance to buy a Miller 200 Tig/ stick( which I wanted to get b/c I thought it could weld thicker steel material being a " stick welder" but they look to be the same max at 5/16)
    only difference is it's a Tig but my main focus wasn't on ability to be able to Tig it was to have a welder that I could just plain stick weld thicker steel like 3/8" but there essentially same max thickness correct?
    Think.i should wait for a Lincoln stick welder that's around the 3/8"-1/2" capabilities for around the farm, what are your thoughts?
    Thanks Matt

I believe the 5/16 is single pass. "IF" you are willing to do multi-pass I don't see the same limitation....

Dale
    "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

There max thickness ability to weld are both 5/16"
      they both can do multiple pass welds, so I think I need to wait to just buy a larger stick welder if I want to weld let's say 3/8" thick steel on single pass correct?

Comment

Any way that the 200 can weld thicker than 5/16 on a single pass?

Comment

I mean stick welding...

Comment

It's a 200 amp machine correct? The max rating on Miller and Hobart machines are typically maximum single pass ratings. You can essentially multi-pass any thickness of steel with stick at that amperage. Most structural certifications are done with 1/8' 7018 at ~120 amps of weld current on 3/8" - 1" plate. Your machine should be capable of the same.

Comment

Can a Hobart 190 stick weld?

Comment

Hobart handler 190?

Comment

The manual for the HH 190 pretty much defines it as a MIG only machine....

https://www.hobartwelders.com/files/...60273F_HOB.pdf

Dale
                  "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Right, what I thought but a co-worker thought it may be able to thanks

Comment

What Dale said is correct, the Hobart Handler 190 is a constant voltage machine, you would need a constant current machine for Stick welding.

Comment

My Hobart 190 is much heavier than the Miller 200(65 compared to 37 respectfully)? I would think a arc/w tig would weigh more...why is this?
                        they also have much different duty cycles( 30% at 130 for the mig and 60 at 190 I believe respectfully again)
                        Is it safe to say the Miller arc could handle welding longer in same metals b/c of the higher duty cycle?

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt4weld View Post
                          My Hobart 190 is much heavier than the Miller 200(65 compared to 37 respectfully)? I would think a arc/w tig would weigh more...why is this?
                          they also have much different duty cycles( 30% at 130 for the mig and 60 at 190 I believe respectfully again)
                          Is it safe to say the Miller arc could handle welding longer in same metals b/c of the higher duty cycle?
                          You comparing a Hobart Handler 190 to a Miller WHAT 200?

Inverter-based machines are much lighter than straight transformer-based machines. That MIGHT be part of it. There is also a gearmotor and drive assembly in a wirefeeding machine.

Comment

Hobart handler 190 and Miller maxstar 200

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt4weld View Post
                              Hobart handler 190 and Miller maxstar 200
                              Tapped transformer vs inverter = apples to oranges.

Comment

Working...
                              X