6013 rod with different flux colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6013 rod with different flux colors

I had on hand a few old Hobart 6013 3/32 rods that the flux was grey in color.

I bought another Hobart package today at Tractor Supply and the flux is brown in color.

Are these fluxes different? Should settings on the welder have to be changed?

thx

Originally posted by eddie View Post
    I had on hand a few old Hobart 6013 3/32 rods that the flux was grey in color.

I bought another Hobart package today at Tractor Supply and the flux is brown in color.

Are these fluxes different? Should settings on the welder have to be changed?

thx
    Yup, different. One's grey the other is brown. Other then that they may have altered the flux recipe slightly but the base ingredients are mostly the same or rather the type of flux used is the same. Inverter technology and the need to alter if you will, the difference in coating to reflect the modern power supply. Depending on your power supply, you might find some difference. Slag fluidity maybe? A few amps hotter in appearance maybe?

But it's mostly the same rod.

Comment

You're probably more likely to adjust the welder just because you feel different that day than any change in the flux.

The real question is: will they smell different? 6013's distinctive smell really brings back memories of learning to weld as a kid.

Comment

6013 rods vary tremendously. Around here most tend to be more budget oriented, for "general" work. In Europe, high quality rods with tighter chemistry composition are common for pipe work. I ran 6013 when I was starting out at a fence company long ago. Back in those days the only field wire feeder used was a little 120 volt Lincoln 125. Now with lighter weight, higher powered "200" amp machines the stick welding leads probably don't come out as much. Most trucks don't even have stick leads.
        The color of the coating does vary more than it used to Blue Demon I think had a lot of blue rods. Made in India? I wondered how much recycled scrap of unknown chemistry was in the rods.
        fence and gate shop worker
        At home...
        Lincoln Power MIG 180....
        Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda) "Big Jake"

Comment

Working...
        X