Trouble with stickmate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with stickmate

I hope this is allowed in the group. I have a Hobart stickmate that I left on all night because I’m an idiot. Now it’s buzzing when I turn it on the way it usually does when welding. It won’t strike an arc and the ground cable started smoking at the clamp. The volume of the buzz is relative to my amperage. Any ideas?

Trust me when I say, you fit right in. As far as ideas go, no. Best open the cover and have a look inside for something ugly and burnt. I left my truck running all night and it didn't start the next day? Yup...you'er in the right crowd of company.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieC View Post
      I hope this is allowed in the group. I have a Hobart stickmate that I left on all night because I’m an idiot. Now it’s buzzing when I turn it on the way it usually does when welding. It won’t strike an arc and the ground cable started smoking at the clamp. The volume of the buzz is relative to my amperage. Any ideas?
      When asking for help, always include all information on the spec plate of your welder, and, DO NOT open the cover if it is still under warranty! Contact Hobart support before opening the case.

Comment

Is your unit an AC/DC model and about how old is the machine?

Comment

This is about the first I have heard of a Stick mate problem. Very rare. I am curious.and it should run for good long time at idle, overnight should be irrelevent.
          http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
            This is about the first I have heard of a Stick mate problem. Very rare. I am curious.and it should run for good long time at idle, overnight should be irrelevent.
            I agree. Where is your response?

Comment

Seemed perfectly valid to reassure the OP that it wasn't his fault and he's not an idiot. I agree, too. I also haven't yet formed an hypothesis.

Comment

Hobart guys are pretty good, never heard of them fuggin with warranty cause a guy took the cover off to take a look. A problem is really rare but I had a problem with a Miller, they pinched a fitting off the line, guy asked me if I could put it on.
                ​​But as a guess 'a secondary cable shorted after the amp setting. These machines are designed to idle 1000s of hours.
                Last edited by Sberry; 07-17-2019, 07:02 AM.
                http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Working...
                X