Strike an Arc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strike an Arc

At work one of the pipefitters gave me a lesson in stick welding. Being familiar with MIG welding, I found it nearly impossible to strike an arc using the SMAW process.

The rod was 6010 and the Miller machine was set up DCEP. After >20 attempts, I was able to sustain an arc and weld a bead. After 1-1/2 hours of practice and over 100 attempts, I was able to get a sustained arc about 4 times.

So glad I bought a MIG welder
    Last edited by Badbmwbrad; 06-07-2019, 05:43 AM.

Originally posted by Badbmwbrad View Post
    At work one of the pipefitters gave me a lesson in stick welding. Being familiar with MIG welding, I found it nearly impossible to strike an arc using the SMAW process.

The rod was 6010 and the Miller machine was set up DCEP. After >20 attempts, I was able to sustain an arc and weld a bead. After 1-1/2 hours of practice and over 100 attempts, I was able to get a sustained arc about 4 times.

So glad I bought a MIG welder
    Try again with 6013, 7014, and 7018, and 5/32" rod, and you will have an easier time!

Comment

Originally posted by Badbmwbrad View Post
      ...So glad I bought a MIG welder ...
      Until you get a job that can only be done with the Stick machine.

Comment

Sounds like you need to go back for a second lesson? But to show I'm some what helpful, remember it's like striking a match not stabbing fish.

Comment

Use 6013 -6010 is very hard to hold an arc on.

A very sticky rod!

Comment

I suggested a second lesson. I could also add with mention, better instruction. A pipe fitter giving a lesson in welding? Who didn't see that coming? Speaking seriously, and with apologies to pipe fitters, you must have left some serious scars behind on that plate? Lol...sticky, sticky.
            What are your Mig welds looking like these days?

Comment

Originally posted by oldguyfrom56 View Post
              I suggested a second lesson. I could also add with mention, better instruction. A pipe fitter giving a lesson in welding? Who didn't see that coming? Speaking seriously, and with apologies to pipe fitters, you must have left some serious scars behind on that plate? Lol...sticky, sticky.
              What are your Mig welds looking like these days?
              I MIG-welded two pieces of angle iron together to form a box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Welded Angle Iron.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	705117

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_39434.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	705119
                Making progress I'd say.. and if the material is in that condition, grind before welding. I should have as well pointed to the un filled start, I didn't but I should have. So yea, making progress.

Comment

Working...
                X