Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campbell Hausfeld RBWS280000 230-Volt AC Stick Welder brand new and never worked once

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Campbell Hausfeld RBWS280000 230-Volt AC Stick Welder brand new and never worked once

    Hello,
    I first want to say I have other stick welders and can weld so I know its not just me (i even hold a structural welding certification). This Campbell Hausfeld RBWS280000 230-Volt AC stick welder was a floor model at tractor supply. It was given to me for Christmas by my father so i never had any receipt to even bring it back. I tried to weld with it using like a 2018 or 6011 or something I cant remember now (a few rods came with it). Anyway no mater what material work piece i tried, or what setting it just would not hold an arc. You would strike it, and it would basically just stick to the work piece. Like it was not turned up enough. I contacted my local Campbell Hausfeld dealer for repairs, and they said they only fix air compressors. I have tried contacting the company directly and they never even replied. Local welding repair shops are not interested in even looking at a low end welder like this. I have promised my self I will never buy large tools from tractor supply or any tool from Campbell Hausfeld as long as i live. It seems i have junk but its "bran new and too good to throw away".

    Any ideas on what could be wrong with this welder and what i could fix or replace to make it work would be very much appreciated.


    I also would like to add, that I took the cover off it, and looked around and as far as i could tell nothing looked burned up, broken or disconnected. All looked factory bran new as it should.
    If people have suggestions i will try them this weekend and even take pictures of things if necessary.

    Thanks
    Last edited by nekweld; 03-02-2018, 09:43 AM.

  • #2
    Not familiar with this unit but checking basics helps. Most AC stick welders produce between 70-80Vac OCV(open circuit voltage) across the weld leads. With the unit on measure the AC voltage across the work and electrode. If correct this typically indicates the the input power is correct and the the unit should be OK. Only issue may be poor connection somewhere that is dropping current when welding.

    Keith

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Hobart Expert Keith View Post
      Not familiar with this unit but checking basics helps. Most AC stick welders produce between 70-80Vac OCV(open circuit voltage) across the weld leads. With the unit on measure the AC voltage across the work and electrode. If correct this typically indicates the the input power is correct and the the unit should be OK. Only issue may be poor connection somewhere that is dropping current when welding.

      Keith
      Interesting. I do have a multi meter. Are you sure its safe to touch those little tiny multi meter leads across those welding leads?... seems like a LOT of juice.
      sure would be nice if its just some poor connection i could fix.

      Comment


      • #4
        Volt/Ohm meter only takes sampling of voltage, does not create a current path that will smoke meter or hurt you (unless meter is defective) ....... Have used meter across 250 Volts DC and probably 5000 amps available (back up battery system for satellite earth station system) and I am still walking around unphased....

        My policy is never to take floor model... The knobs and switch and whatever have been cranked, twisted, yanked on, flipped on/off, pulled shoved, rotated buy 10,000 people, floor modes are like product that has not survives torture test... I know yours was a gift but still don't understand TSC is not willing to make good....

        https://campbellhausfeld.com/product/welders

        Looking at CH site and don't see your unit mentioned, its possible its a discontinued model...Also CH rep is part of your problem, not part of solution, CH makes a lot more than air compressors....


        Dale
        Last edited by Dale M.; 03-02-2018, 11:20 AM.
        Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
          Volt/Ohm meter only takes sampling of voltage, does not create a current path that will smoke meter or hurt you (unless meter is defective) ....... Have used meter across 250 Volts DC and probably 5000 amps available (back up battery system for satellite earth station system) and I am still walking around unphased....

          My policy is never to take floor model... The knobs and switch and whatever have been cranked, twisted, yanked on, flipped on/off, pulled shoved, rotated buy 10,000 people, floor modes are like product that has not survives torture test... I know yours was a gift but still don't understand TSC is not willing to make good....

          https://campbellhausfeld.com/product/welders


          Dale
          I also do not buy floor models, but i am sure it was already more than my father could afford. we had just lost my mother it was the holidays and probably was not thinking straight at the time. Nor was I , i was also in the middle of building a house and dident have time to deal with it (thinking it was a small issue) i put it in the basement and left it for a few years since i had other welders any way. So finally i was like I should either get it working and use it or get it working and sell it. But anyway too much time has passed i wouldent expect that tractor supply would have any record of selling it and wouldent expect they would do anything since i dont even see that model for sale there any more.

          Comment


          • #6
            OK... Understand time factor..... I have not been able to see new units online anywhere, but many sites seem to have reconditioned units, so that leads me to believe it is discontinued... I would pop cover off and inspect mechanism behind large hand wheel... IF that is current control and been cranked a million miles something may have come loose or whatever.....

            Dale
            Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
              OK... Understand time factor..... I have not been able to see new units online anywhere, but many sites seem to have reconditioned units, so that leads me to believe it is discontinued... I would pop cover off and inspect mechanism behind large hand wheel... IF that is current control and been cranked a million miles something may have come loose or whatever.....

              Dale
              I agree, and yes all i see is reconditioned as well. (probably means they were junk) i will check that wheel out and see what i can find... maybe its just cranked down no matter what. However when i crank it the little meter needle does move how it should. I am going to try the multi meter this weekend. and inspect this wheel.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by nekweld View Post

                I agree, and yes all i see is reconditioned as well. (probably means they were junk) i will check that wheel out and see what i can find... maybe its just cranked down no matter what. However when i crank it the little meter needle does move how it should. I am going to try the multi meter this weekend. and inspect this wheel.
                SO Dumb question is it the V~ setting on my multimeter?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by nekweld View Post

                  SO Dumb question is it the V~ setting on my multimeter?
                  Yes, and the common.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This may help... Pretty common to most digital meters... Some features on image here may not be on your meter



                    Dale
                    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
                      This may help... Pretty common to most digital meters... Some features on image here may not be on your meter



                      Dale
                      Thanks guys, from what i could tell the thing did not test out correctly I took it all apart and found nothing wrong with it that I could see. I am cutting my losses and junking it. I will keep the leads though.

                      I did however just pick up an old lincon 225s AC welder for 100 bucks last night. (it looks like i has not had much use, and is in nice shape)
                      I have only welded DC before on my big welder. I run a lot of 7118 that i get from tractor supply.
                      From what i have read i will need to buy specific 7018AC electrodes to use this welder.
                      Any thoughts? seems 100 bucks for its a decent deal.

                      I also have some E6011 but i don't like them as much for older rusty metal. will they run on my new box?

                      Another thought..... I am going to try my old welder with AC rods... maby that was the problem all along!!!!!!!
                      would that cause it to start and arc and quickly lose it and just stick there?
                      Last edited by nekweld; 03-13-2018, 08:33 AM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X