X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jrichsmith
    • Oct 2016

Old Linde 295

Anybody have any information on this machine? I have a chance to grab one for really cheap. Any info helps.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1086.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	668639Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1086.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	668639
  • MarkV
    • Oct 2016

It is an AC 'Buzzbox,' similar to Lincoln AC-225, not as good as Miller Thunderbolt.

It's 230 volts, needs 60+ amp input. But can be run on 40 amp breaker (stove) at reduced output.
    Last edited by MarkV; 10-27-2016, 05:42 AM.

Comment

• jrichsmith
      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      It is an AC 'Buzzbox,' similar to Lincoln AC-225, not as good as Miller Thunderbolt.

It's 230 volts, needs 60+ amp input. But can be run on 40 amp breaker (stove) at reduced output.
      Thanks. I couldn't pass it up just didn't know anything about it(it's twice my age). And for 20 bucks I'm not out anything.

Comment

• kctgb
        • Jul 2011

I would bet yout welder was made by Century.

Comment

• Northweldor
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by kctgb View Post
          I would bet yout welder was made by Century.
          No, it was made by Linde, and is much better quality than a Miller ThunderBolt. Linde used to be one of the top companies for welding equipment, along with Miller, Lincoln, etc., before it was absorbed by Esab, eventually.

The OP scored an excellent welder, for less than scrap value!
          Last edited by Northweldor; 04-17-2017, 08:05 AM.

Comment

• coxhaus
            • Sep 2008

I have a copy of the Linde 295. It was a Wards model in the late 1970s. The duty cycle is much better than the Lincoln 225 or Miller Thunderbolt. The Linde 295 duty cycle is 100% for 130 amps or less and 20% for greater than 130 amps. I have owned my Linde 295 since new and it is a great welder not as good as a Lincoln 250 idealarc but better than most buzz boxes.
            Hobart beta-mig 2510 Mig welder
            Victor OA Welding/Cutting Rig
            Century 295 amp Stick welder bought 30+ years ago

Comment

• usmcpop
              • May 2005

Linde did sell some lower-end welders that were made by Century. Look for any patent numbers in the small print on the welder and look up who has the patent.
              --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
              -------------------------

Comment

• coxhaus
                • Sep 2008

Here is a picture of my Linde 295. It is maybe a copy of a Linde295. But there is a Linde version that looks just like my welder. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0300.jpg Views:	0 Size:	753.3 KB ID:	708595
                Attached Files
                Last edited by coxhaus; 03-21-2020, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• usmcpop
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by coxhaus View Post
                  Here is a picture of my Linde 295
                  Sure looks like a Century made welder to me.

Comment

• Northweldor
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by usmcpop View Post

Sure looks like a Century made welder to me.
                    And, looks nothing like the welder pics the OP posted.

Comment

• coxhaus
                      • Sep 2008

There were several styles of the Linde 295. There is a Linde 295 that looks just like my welder just painted different with the Linde name. If you look close the Linde above has all the same features as my welder does. It also has the same rating. The scan and lock are kind of the same only turned sideways. I am not sure who built my welder but it matches exactly a Linde 295 I have seen. There was a picture on Welding Web before WW went down.

I have seen a picture of a Linde 295 that had an arrow that moved with a lock and a high low just as above. I just found a picture of the arrow version on the web.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by coxhaus; 03-21-2020, 09:00 PM.

Comment

• usmcpop
                        • May 2005

A lot of companies sold a branded version of the 295 or 230 Century welder with the "arrow". I've seen pics with such names as Montgomery Ward, John Deere, Hobart, Air Products, AIRCO, Dayton, Linde and ESAB. Century had one with their name on it. They patented many variations of a sliding adjustment/locking mechanism.

Linde made some good $$$ MIG and TIG machines. They wouldn't bother building their own inexpensive stick welder. Sears sold welders made by Century and Emerson Electric.

Comment

• coxhaus
                          • Sep 2008

I think the Linde 295 or copy was the best of the buzz boxes. If you needed DC then the Lincoln idealarc 250 was about the best maybe also the Miller.

Comment

• Northweldor
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by usmcpop View Post
                            A lot of companies sold a branded version of the 295 or 230 Century welder with the "arrow". I've seen pics with such names as Montgomery Ward, John Deere, Hobart, Air Products, AIRCO, Dayton, Linde and ESAB. Century had one with their name on it. They patented many variations of a sliding adjustment/locking mechanism.

Linde made some good $$$ MIG and TIG machines. They wouldn't bother building their own inexpensive stick welder. Sears sold welders made by Century and Emerson Electric.
                            I think if Linde put their name on it, it was made by Linde. In the mid-80s, I bought a 400 amp Linde Cobra-matic with 50' push-pull gun for the shop I was working in, and at that time, Linde offered a full range of machines. They were higher priced, but generally regarded as higher quality than the American brands.

BTW, Linde was manufacturing steel radiators with automatic welders in 1926!

Comment

• usmcpop
                              • May 2005

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post

I think if Linde put their name on it, it was made by Linde. In the mid-80s, I bought a 400 amp Linde Cobra-matic with 50' push-pull gun for the shop I was working in, and at that time, Linde offered a full range of machines. They were higher priced, but generally regarded as higher quality than the American brands.

BTW, Linde was manufacturing steel radiators with automatic welders in 1926!
                              I am not sure about this particular 295 model, but Linde certainly rebadged welders made by Century. I would bet that the fine print on the front of the welder has some patent numbers relating to the adjustment mechanism for the transformer. Patent numbers belonging to Century. Some other welder models made by Century used the 3-lobed fastening knob. In addition, the sheet metal style of the cabinet is quite like Century.

Linde made some fine welders, I just don't think they would bother producing an inexpensive buzz box.

Comment

Working...
                              X