Old Hobart T.C. 295 welder, info wanted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Hobart T.C. 295 welder, info wanted

Hey everyone, long time no post. I recently acquired a Hobart T.C. 295 welder. It also mentions a Model 110-077 on the front panel. Beyond that, I can't find much information about it. Does anyone know much about it? I'm guessing it's AC only based on the options on the front.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1712.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	668358

Well, I never did find out much more about the welder. But, I went ahead and cleaned it up real nice inside and out. Then I turned it on, and didn't burn the garage down so I figured it was safe.

Grabbed a 1/8" 6013 rod that came with the welder, and tried to strike an arc. It worked. So, I ran 3 rods worth of beads trying to figure out how this whole arc welding thing works. I made some pretty, and some not so pretty. Then was reminded why I shouldn't wear sleeveless t-shirts while welding... That hurt for a few days. But other than that, it's off to the races with this welder.

Now I just need to find a source for some cheap rods... The welder came with about 80lbs of rods, all mixed variety. I have no idea what most of them are, they don't have the normal E6011, E6013 naming convention anywhere on the package. Also have no idea about storage condition or age on the rods. I guess the only way to know if they will work is run a bead and find out, right?

Comment

Originally posted by 97ZJ View Post

Now I just need to find a source for some cheap rods... The welder came with about 80lbs of rods, all mixed variety. I have no idea what most of them are, they don't have the normal E6011, E6013 naming convention anywhere on the package. Also have no idea about storage condition or age on the rods. I guess the only way to know if they will work is run a bead and find out, right?
      Looks nice!
      Many of the designations on your rods can be matched up to their maker's use.
      Spark rest on the bare end can help too.
      sigpicViceGrip
      Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

This unit dates back to the 80's. It was a unit built by Century(before owned by Lincoln) for Hobart. These were one of the first small type arc welders Hobart offered before building their own now known as the Stickmate.

Keith

Comment

Similar models were sold by Dayton (Grainger), ESAB and Linde.
          --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
          -------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by 97ZJ View Post
            Well, I never did find out much more about the welder. But, I went ahead and cleaned it up real nice inside and out. Then I turned it on, and didn't burn the garage down so I figured it was safe.

Grabbed a 1/8" 6013 rod that came with the welder, and tried to strike an arc. It worked. So, I ran 3 rods worth of beads trying to figure out how this whole arc welding thing works. I made some pretty, and some not so pretty. Then was reminded why I shouldn't wear sleeveless t-shirts while welding... That hurt for a few days. But other than that, it's off to the races with this welder.

Are there color spots on the flux, bare end and bare-tip? If so, the rods are pre-1964, and will likely be of use only in practice or non-critical use. Here is the AWS color code system used before 1964, when I was still in my youth!

Note that many of the early rods, especially low hydrogen were DC only, and these will not work well on your AC machine.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Northweldor; 10-07-2015, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll have to look for the colors and such on the rods. Probably about 50lbs of the rods are all in mil-spec bags that have been heat sealed. Unfortunately, most of the bags also have holes in them from what appears to be spatter. I guess the PO was welding right on top of his stash of rods I'll also try some Google-fu on the names on the bags.

Comment

I picked this Century Mfg. model 110-077 295Amp AC stick welder up at a local pawn shop for $100 cash (out the door). They had it for two years and accepted my cash offer even though the marked price was 199.99. The reason it was not selling was probably the 75 foot long Anaconda orange 10AWG cord that was installed with a 3 pin dryer plug that predates the 4-wire L14-30. I removed that and installed the L14-50P stove/RV cord you see in the photos. I put 6-30 twist lock plugs on the other cord and will sell it as a generator cord. The cord should net me out to zero on the welder. I could not find any manual for Hobart or Century model 110-077. My S/N is W348093 if you want to compare. Does your Hobart S/N start with L?
                4 classes at Guilford Technical College in 1988 for gas and stick welding
                Craftsman 230 AC welder -- sold
                NAPA (Marquette) MIG with 8 heat settings and stitch and spot -- adapted to connect Miller SpoolMate gun for aluminum
                Miller Syncrowave 350 watercooled TIG and Stick
                Miller MaxStar 140 TIG and Stick
                Lincoln IM-308 Weldanpower 6000 CV/AC/DC/DC- 16hp Briggs
                Aircomatic AHF Wire Feeder -- not yet connected

Comment

Working...
                X