wiring my stickmate lx 235/160.AC/DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring my stickmate lx 235/160.AC/DC

I plan on running off my panel with a 50 amp breaker, run 8/3 to my garage in PVC electrical conduit, into my Hobart receiptical. I don't know much about electricity so input is much appreciated.

If you knowledge is limited, my first though would be get a electrician to actually make the connections for you.... You can do the grunt work of getting everything in place though....

Other wise read up a bit on how to wire 230 volt circuits.... SIMILAR TO electric clothes driers or electric kitchen ranges.... Generally the wiring is same for welder circuit....Its not complicated, but there is enough voltage in there to KILL YOU if you are not careful and maybe do it wrong....

Next question is it a 3 wire or 4 wire 50 Amp plug/receptacle (nema designation on plug/receptacle).... Will make a difference on number of wires you need to properly supply receptacle with power and also is there room in breaker panel for additional 50 amp breaker?

Dale
    Last edited by Dale M.; 03-05-2014, 07:56 PM.
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Ok after some thought I'm going to use 10/2 b/c my plug/receptical only has a hot, neutral & ground. There is room in my panel for a 50 amp breaker.

Comment

We can assume this is an attached garage? A 10/2 with a 50 will run a Stickmate just fine, this does not make for a 50A to a pottery kiln but a welder circuit for machines with a 50A factory plug.
        http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Originally posted by TinoDTank View Post
          Ok after some thought I'm going to use 10/2 b/c my plug/receptical only has a hot, neutral & ground. There is room in my panel for a 50 amp breaker.
          Excuse me.... BUT its two hot leads (L1 & L2) and a ground...

Page 15... http://www.hobartwelders.com/om/0900/o950a_hob.pdf

Dale
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Dale M.; 03-06-2014, 10:29 AM.
          Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

for 50 amp breakers you will need 8/3 if you plan on getting the max current out of your welder. On that unit, you can expect to draw 47.2 amps at max output. 10 gauge wire will carry only 30 amps safely I believe, where as 8 gauge will carry 50 amps.

You need two hots and ground. No neutral needed for this welder. I have the exact same setup.
            HH 190
            Stickmate LX AC/DC
            Purox Metalmaster

Comment

how long of a wire do you need to run ? I would use 8/3 ,or 6/3 if the circuit is more then 50 ft away from the breaker .

Comment

Plan "B" read the Hobart manual for that welder it tells you how and what size wire. Hate to go over this again and again, but NEC for welders is different than for other circuits, you don't need #8 wire. The Miller and Hobart instruction manuals follow the NEC Code and its been the same for a long time.

Yes I am (was) a licensed master electrician, yes I have wired welder circuits.
                Retired...
                Master Electrician
                Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
                Semi-pro/Hobby Welder
                Hobart Handler 140
                MakerGear M2 3D Printer

Comment

I agree the load on the wire/circuit is only a few minutes at a time so there is no time for heat which causes amp loss and circuit damage or fire if over drawn to long. no chance of that when using your welder. 10/2 with ground and you'll be fine.
                  Fireman Bill

HH 210 MVP
                  MM 211
                  Spoolmate 100
                  Lotas LTP5000D Plasma
                  Oxy/Accet (Victor)
                  Wards AC/DC buzz box
                  30 ton old hyd press
                  A few brand name tools
                  A bunch of cheap tools
                  A wife to worry me and
                  4 dogs to supervise me