Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crastman duel range 230amp welder core/shunt repair !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crastman duel range 230amp welder core/shunt repair !

I have a Craftsman duel range 230amp buzz box and the plastic material that keeps the core/shunt directly
    off the transformer is in need of replacement.....right where it touches the tranformer its torn and allows the core/shunt to make metal to metal contact with the transformers core !.....i know not a good thing.....Ok when "Chase" that made it went bankrupt.......the company that bought it as i heard...was Lincoln?........i need to know what kind of material to use to keep the contact points apart........i have considered the 1/16 th inch thick grey gasket material however the original is a plastic type material !......and all suggestions are very welcomed................Thanks.

Delrin would be a good choice for this. It is mechanically durable, non-conducting and has self-lubricating properties. If you could use two pieces, one on the shunt and another on the stationary core, then you would have a sliding interface between two pieces of plastic. This would be the ideal configuration.
    CanoeCruiser
    Harris dual-stage O/A
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Hobart IronMan 210
    Lincoln PowerMig 135
    Miller 3035 spoolgun
    Thermal Arc 185
    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
    Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
    Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

Thin Teflon sheets would be great, very slick and high temperature resistant.

cheap Teflon art sheets: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-Seller-...-/360583288363

You can get thicker stuff like 1/16" and 1/8" but it costs more. Search Teflon gasket material or sheet.

Edit: Even HDPE cut out of a milk jug or container lid would probably work just fine. It can withstand about 230 degrees F continuously.
      Last edited by usmcpop; 02-25-2014, 10:01 AM.
      --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
      -------------------------

Comment

Not to change the subject, but I also have an old Craftsman dual range model, and the material around mine seemed just like cardboard. Anyway , not long after I had it, the cardboard bent and jammed the shunt. Back then I just tore off the bent piece of cardboard and have used it that way. That was over 20 years ago. I don't use it much, but it's still going.
        Miller Challenger 172
        Hobart AC/DC Stickmate
        Older Sears AC stick machine

Comment

The core/shunt insulator in my old Craftsman duel 230amp welder

Thanks so much.......Now i have many great choices to try and i will see if i can get a piece of Delrin...i bet thats what was in their from the factory and it finally cut thru at the contact point with the stationary core....although the plastic off a milk jug may work just fine for me....To all who sent a rapid reply Thanks and i also loved the idea of the transformer being lined with the material like the core too ......Crash43

Comment

Working...
          X