How can I check amp. Output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I check amp. Output

I have 2 inverter welders,both are 200 amp. DC machines. One is a digital read out and the other is not. If I set the digital machine at 120 amps and the other at the same (120 amps) and use the same electrode and cables on both machines the digital machine has to be turned up to 140 amps so it will weld the same as the other machine. Is there a way that I can check the out put on the digital machine and calibrate that welder.

I'm no expert, but there may be other differences in the output waveform that makes one machine need more amps for the same performance.
    Blacksmith
    Stickmate LX AC/DC
    Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
    Hand cranked coal forge
    Freon bottle propane forge
    HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

DC amp meter. Clamp it around either lead, get a bead going, hit the hold button. Then you can look at the snapshot of the amps being pulled.

Comment

You already have the answer, the meter won't change anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
          DC amp meter. Clamp it around either lead, get a bead going, hit the hold button. Then you can look at the snapshot of the amps being pulled.
          This is done, all the time, to calibrate multiple machines of the same or different brands in fab facilities. The digital / faceplate reading on any particular brand is only an approximation.

Comment

I could care less what any welder I use says on the machine as far as amperage readout.
            I go by how it feels to me and how it burns the rod. If it feels too cold, turn it up. If it feels too hot, turn it down, simple as that. Cable length also plays an important role with this.
            Lincoln Idealarc 250
            Miller Bobcat 250
            Thermal arc Hefty 2 feeder
            Thermal Dynamics Cusmaster 52
            Torchmate CNC Table

Comment

Working...
            X