New toy - 1971 Idealarc 250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New toy - 1971 Idealarc 250

As boys need toys, my son and I added a different color stick welder to our collection, an Idealarc 250. We'll use the Dialarc when we want crispy and the Idealarc for cushy, or so it seems so far.

Not the cheapest thing at $350. but it does have refreshed paint, an original cart and 100 foot 1/0 (each) leads in good condition. The short pigtails with the quick connectors on the front need a little love, but that's minor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	idealarc 250 ours 3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	667917

Click image for larger version

Name:	idealarc 250 ours 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	667918

We've set the polarity lever at DC+. Sberry, should I break the lever off or hacksaw it? It looks kind of sturdy.

Had a good time talking with the seller, playing with his dog and oogling a few of his firearms. He's 75 years old and is just starting to downsize just a bit.
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------

The lead in good shape makes it well worth the price.
    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Pops, time to start sniffing around for an old Hobart.
      Attached Files
      Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

I want one of the old Hobart motor-generator welders that some old nut-job used to communicate with aliens. I read an article about that guy a long while back and can't find a link for the life of me.

My dream machine is a Hobart Weldmobile. (Pics)

One of the best days I had on this forum was when a guy was restoring an old Hobart engine drive welder. He needed new panel meters. I casually browsed eBay and, lo and behold, there was a new-old-stock Triplett (?) analog meter for something like $15. delivered. It was Hobart badged! He then found the other (can't remember volts or amps) to complete his restoration. Doesn't get any better than that.

One other type of machine I want is one of those old vertical style 3-phase Lincoln motor-generator stick welders. I call them D!ck-welders.
        Attached Files
        --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
        -------------------------

Comment

Like this Pops? I'll keep an eye out for one. Shouldn't be too difficult to spot in a pile...
          Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

Working...
          X