three phase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• three phase

i have a RS3 stick welder power sourcethat was given to me but its 440 three phase what can i do to hook it up to single phase?

Basically nothing. You would have to buy a 3 phase rotary convertor of sufficient running amperage and they aren't cheap and you'd still have 220 or 240 residential power. 408/440 machines are industrial.

Scrap it.
    So little time...So many machine tools.........
    www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
    Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
    Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
    Harris OA
    Too many motorcycles.............-
    sigpic

Comment

try to sell your machine if not then id go with sidecarflip's advice and scrap it
      Miller Trailblazer 251
      Lincoln Electric Pro-Core 125
      14''chop saw
      7 inch grinder,2-4.5 inch grinders,electric die grinder
      half inch drill
      And alot of hand tools

Comment

It should have a copper primary and copper is down but will be back up. If you scrap it, take it apart and remove the windings. Scrap yards pay more stripped than whole. Less labor for them.

You might get a good down payment on a machine you can use, something in the 220/1 arena.
        So little time...So many machine tools.........
        www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
        Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
        Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
        Harris OA
        Too many motorcycles.............-
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SidecarFlip View Post
          It should have a copper primary and copper is down but will be back up. If you scrap it, take it apart and remove the windings. Scrap yards pay more stripped than whole. Less labor for them.

You might get a good down payment on a machine you can use, something in the 220/1 arena.
          flip is right. the labor is sorting ferrous and non ferrous and dismantling.

this is true for most precious metals such as gold, silver, and platinum, you are normally paid more in bar from than as jewelry (depends).

care to put up a link to your machine? if I look it up its esab, but im not sure of the specific model.
          sigpic
          Eastwood MIG135, never fails to make me wonder.
          Lincoln idealarc 300/250: runs like it was made today. Looks like its seen some better days. Origin is Ashland lumber mill. Ready to go. Needs some new leads and a little specialty TLC.
          Harris oxyacetylene set, 20cf oxy and 10cf ace
          youtube channel :
          http://m.youtube.com/#/user/Hobbywelder617

Comment

Originally posted by namdaed View Post
            i have a RS3 stick welder power sourcethat was given to me but its 440 three phase what can i do to hook it up to single phase?
            It might have a hook up to change inside to make it run on 240 3 phase. You can build a rotary convertor to change single to three phase out of an old working 3 phase motor. Lot of screwing around for just welding. I made a nice one to run my 3 phase lathe however.

Take it apart salvage out the copper and use the money toward single phase welder.
            Retired...
            Master Electrician
            Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
            Semi-pro/Hobby Welder
            Hobart Handler 140
            MakerGear M2 3D Printer

Comment

3 phas to single phase conversion

Originally posted by namdaed View Post
              Check on the Practical Machinist website. There is a gentleman there that does conversions from 3 to single phase

Comment

Working...
              X