what about a rod oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post
    Very hard to see, and even difficult for NDT, since they are often not on the surface, but if very bad, often can be heard as a series of pings as a pass is cooling after flux is removed, or obvious after the weld fails.
    When I was young and completely ignorant, as opposed to partially ignorant like now,
    I believe I heard such a thing a few times (when I could still hear anything softer than an alarmclock).

I had no idea what it was then.
    Thanks, I have "closure" now.
    Phil
    sigpicViceGrip
    Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

Originally posted by weld27 View Post
      hot ham and cheese or fried CAT, we can do either
      Cats fry easily today. One reason why Caterpillar got out of the on road business. Can't stand the heat of emissions compliant diesels, literally.
      So little time...So many machine tools.........
      www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
      Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
      Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
      Harris OA
      Too many motorcycles.............-
      sigpic

Comment

Very hard to see, and even difficult for NDT, since they are often not on the surface, but if very bad, often can be heard as a series of pings as a pass is cooling after flux is removed, or obvious after the weld fails.
        NDT?
        i didn't hear anything poping or cracking. for what its worth the the rods i did the majority of the welding with came from a vaccume sealed pack when i started the project. the only concern is if there was a failure in the first passes since these were done with the hobarts that weren't dried.

Comment

NDT?
          i didn't hear anything poping or cracking. for what its worth the the rods i did the majority of the welding with came from a vaccume sealed pack when i started the project. the only concern is if there was a failure in the first passes since these were done with the hobarts that weren't dried.
          Non-destructive testing, like X-ray, and ultra-sonic, as compared to destructive testing, like tensile and bend tests.

Comment

Non-destructive testing, like X-ray, and ultra-sonic, as compared to destructive testing, like tensile and bend tests.
            so about the only way to check for cracks is, sound, visual (not likely), x-ray (don't have), distructive (let the owner have it back and hope for the best).
            when i worked underground we gave the equipment opperator a 5/5 warranty. 5 feet or 5 second after they resume running the equipment.

Comment

so about the only way to check for cracks is, sound, visual (not likely), x-ray (don't have), distructive (let the owner have it back and hope for the best).
              when i worked underground we gave the equipment opperator a 5/5 warranty. 5 feet or 5 second after they resume running the equipment.
              That's about the warranty I'd suggest, but it may hold indefinitely. I would, however, tell him to inspect it regularly for cracking, since there may be hydrogen embrittlement, due to possibly contaminated rod, and no pre- or post-weld heat treatment.
              Last edited by Northweldor; 04-16-2013, 07:56 AM.

Comment

I found this one on CL for $150.00. It started off with some cracked wire insulation. While replacing those, I figured, what the heck!!! I originally just wanted a 50lb.'er to store the balance of 10lb. cans of 3/32", 1/8" & 5/32" 7018. But lately, I've been finding a lot of 50lb. cans for $50.00.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4832.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	665312

Name:	IMG_5071.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	665313

Name:	IMG_5073.jpg
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	665314

Name:	IMG_5636.jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	665315
                "Stick-man"
                Miller Shopmaster 300, Super S-32P
                Lincoln
                Commander 500D
                LN-25
                Idealarc 250
                5 Idealarc Tig 300/300's
                Hypertherm Powermax 600

Comment

Originally posted by Stick-man View Post
                  I found this one on CL for $150.00. It started off with some cracked wire insulation. While replacing those, I figured, what the heck!!! I originally just wanted a 50lb.'er to store the balance of 10lb. cans of 3/32", 1/8" & 5/32" 7018. But lately, I've been finding a lot of 50lb. cans for $50.00.

[ATTACH]35702[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35703[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35704[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35705[/ATTACH]
                  nice oven, good color choice

Comment

i picked up my 15# inweld oven today variable temp to 300F, graduations are in celcius. until i can get my heat treat oven built, can i use this to dry my 7018? i know its not hot enough for the recommended procedures, 650F/ 1 hour, i'm thinking 300 for maybe 2-3 hours? i looked for a toaster oven, the only thing walmart had was either to small or $100+ and it still wouldn't get hot enough.
                    sorry for the trouble
                    Weld

Comment

i picked up my 15# inweld oven today variable temp to 300F, graduations are in celcius. until i can get my heat treat oven built, can i use this to dry my 7018? i know its not hot enough for the recommended procedures, 650F/ 1 hour, i'm thinking 300 for maybe 2-3 hours? i looked for a toaster oven, the only thing walmart had was either to small or $100+ and it still wouldn't get hot enough.
                      sorry for the trouble
                      Weld
                      Your best bet is 3-4 hrs in your rod oven and then, a self-cleaning oven on the clean cycle, and back in your oven till next use.

Comment

Your best bet is 3-4 hrs in your rod oven and then, a self-cleaning oven on the clean cycle, and back in your oven till next use.
                        thanks
                        weld

ps. will that make my fumes smell like the food that was in the oven. i'd rather not get the munchies while welding they break my concentration .

Comment

vicegrip
                          In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you.
                          I go to prepare a place for you.
                          I'm pretty sure that my "mansion" has stuff like this in it.

I hope so

Comment

This is one of those subjects that has been beaten to death, then beaten beyond death. I've used 7018AC that has sat on an open shelf for 2 or 3 years with no problem. Beautiful bead, penetration, no inclusions, strong weld, etc. That's welding stuff out on my farm. If you're welding to code, with x-ray inspections, liability issues, etc. then you'll need an oven. Of course, if your rod actually gets wet or something, that's a different matter. Myself, I just keep it in a red tube.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
                              This is one of those subjects that has been beaten to death, then beaten beyond death. I've used 7018AC that has sat on an open shelf for 2 or 3 years with no problem. Beautiful bead, penetration, no inclusions, strong weld, etc. That's welding stuff out on my farm. If you're welding to code, with x-ray inspections, liability issues, etc. then you'll need an oven. Of course, if your rod actually gets wet or something, that's a different matter. Myself, I just keep it in a red tube.
                              Another thing that has been beaten to death is the "I've done it for years and it always works for me..." theme.

Since I assume you've read post #3, then why don't you find one single welding rod maker, anywhere in the world, that agrees with your post above? Be sure to post back with the news for the rest of us!

Comment

I have seen it happen.
                                http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Working...
                                X