Extension Cord for Hobart Stickmate LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
    Joe, the welder comes with a 12 cord and plug, you will not "starve" a stickmate no matter how hard you run it, the thing would be a smokin cinder with a 10 before it would overheat the wire.
    8 ga. it is!!

One question, since I have both here.... Red or black Cinder?
    Last edited by Scott V; 03-06-2013, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott V View Post
      8 ga. it is!!

One question, since I have both here.... Red or black Cinder?
      IT could be tan as in "clinker"...

Dale
      Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

These folks seem to have pretty good pricing: http://www.wireandcabletogo.com
        CanoeCruiser
        Harris dual-stage O/A
        Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
        Hobart IronMan 210
        Lincoln PowerMig 135
        Miller 3035 spoolgun
        Thermal Arc 185
        Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
        Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
        Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

Was out in the shop this morning and realized that I've replaced every factory whip cord on all my machines with longer hookup cords, every one. I sure like the heavy gage stranded multi-conductor (single phase 3 wire and 3 phase 4 wire) neoprene sheathed, abrasion resistanr, bulk cable they sell at Menards. I believe it's Southwire brand.

Menards also has pre-made (with plugs attached), generator whip cords of various lengths and gages on the shelf, Southwire again.

Just a heads up.
          So little time...So many machine tools.........
          www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
          Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
          Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
          Harris OA
          Too many motorcycles.............-
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hobby welder View Post
            I don't know abut you guys, but if I am gonna do an extension cord, I'd go 6/3, 60 amps and its not gonna starve the welder and will hold up to continues use at high amps on the machine.

Now, that's just me, 8/3 should be just fine, maybe 10/3 but..........

Maybe that's just because I have 20+ foot coiled up.........
            I hate to necropost, but I feel this is sort of an important topic and people spend way more money than they need to.

Yes 6/3 wire sounds great in theory, but think about it this way. What gauge wire is used to wire your garage? I highly doubt it's 6 gauge, and I doubt it's 8 gauge unless you wired it yourself. 90% of 230 volt wiring is going to be done in 12 gauge. So using a 6 gauge extension cord is just wasting money. The weakest link in the line is what is going to fail, and in your case it will be your garage wiring.

I totally get the better safe than sorry scenario, but I don't want to spend $500 for an extension cord when I can get away with a $100 extension cord with zero difference to the welder.

Edit: Before I get flamed for my reply let me say this. If you have a welder that supposedly draws 50 amps technically your extension cord should be 1 gauge wire. That is if you plan on a 50 foot extension cord. With that being said, is the wiring in your garage 1 gauge? I doubt it.
            Last edited by bpickell; 05-24-2014, 08:35 PM.
            HH140

Comment

extension cord

When I got my Handler 190, I called Hobart Techs about ext. Cord. They told mea #10 would be adequate to 80'. I wire my recep with 10/2 w/grd. Then I got a #8 ext. Cord on sale at northern tool. Cord is 25'. But heaviest I weld is 5/16 - 1/4". All works great for me.

Comment

Originally posted by VOlderguy View Post
                When I got my Handler 190, I called Hobart Techs about ext. Cord. They told mea #10 would be adequate to 80'. I wire my recep with 10/2 w/grd. Then I got a #8 ext. Cord on sale at northern tool. Cord is 25'. But heaviest I weld is 5/16 - 1/4". All works great for me.
                And, your #8 cord, even though it is overkill now, is still available for other outlets and higher input machines in the future, and, expands range of your plug, with less voltage drop. Not really waste of money, whereas, buying exactly the needed wire guage could be.

Comment

Originally posted by bpickell View Post
                  I hate to necropost, but I feel this is sort of an important topic and people spend way more money than they need to.

Yes 6/3 wire sounds great in theory, but think about it this way. What gauge wire is used to wire your garage? I highly doubt it's 6 gauge, and I doubt it's 8 gauge unless you wired it yourself. 90% of 230 volt wiring is going to be done in 12 gauge. So using a 6 gauge extension cord is just wasting money. The weakest link in the line is what is going to fail, and in your case it will be your garage wiring.

I totally get the better safe than sorry scenario, but I don't want to spend $500 for an extension cord when I can get away with a $100 extension cord with zero difference to the welder.

Edit: Before I get flamed for my reply let me say this. If you have a welder that supposedly draws 50 amps technically your extension cord should be 1 gauge wire. That is if you plan on a 50 foot extension cord. With that being said, is the wiring in your garage 1 gauge? I doubt it.
                  I actually wired my welder circuit with 6/3. I once ran an Airco 225 AC on #10 very successfully, but I've had the 6/3 in the wall for 28 years, so the cost is nothing.
                  Last edited by cope; 06-09-2014, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Hobby Welder - Why 60amps? Receptacle and Plug are only rated for 50amps?
                    VOlderguy - Why 10ga for 80 feet, then switch to 8ga extension cord for 25 feet?

Comment

Working...
                    X