Extension Cord for Hobart Stickmate LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension Cord for Hobart Stickmate LX

I'm brand new to welding. I received a Hobart Stickmate LX 235AC/160DC as a birthday present 2 years ago. I'm just now starting to play with it. I have a 50 Amp dedicated recepticle which accepts the Hobart's plug. But I want to use an extension cord so I can move the machine around my shop. Fleet Farm has a 25ft 8/3 welder extension cord. But I'm not familiar with stuff like this.

Will someone please click the link below and read the specs and tell me if this will do the trick.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/cci-.../0000000008922

Also, would this 8/3 wire be good enough to go 50 feet?

Thanks guys,

Don <><
    Last edited by genesis5521; 03-01-2013, 09:36 AM.

Don,
    That cord is plenty heavy enough, in fact you could use 10 gauge. I made my own up using 10 gauge cord.
    Are you sure that is the best price you can find?? Seems kinda high to me...
    sigpic

Comment

The rating of 40 amps at 250 volts is sort of a limiter, BUT I seriously doubt you will be running machine full tilt (maximum heat) so it should be a acceptable cord..... Only issue may be if plug/sockets on cord match welder and wall outlet....

I had a #10 x 3 (or maybe it was #8 x 3), 50ft cord on a old 180 amp Lincoln for years and never had a problem but never had to crank it up to max output... When I sold welder, I replaced cord with new short pigtail....

Dale
      Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Usually just build my own cords, but you should be good to go. Pricing doesn't seem out of line since the receptacle and plug ends are included. A quick look at your owner's manual should indicate what size conducors to go with...downloadable off the site if you don't have yours. You may be able to go a lower gauge cord and save money...you''ll need to look.

EDIT: As for the 40 amp @ 250v rating, I imagine it is the continuous duty rating and would be superceded by the intermittant rating allowed by code for welders...just don't hook it up to a large electric heater and walk away.
        Last edited by Wyoming; 03-01-2013, 09:51 AM.
        Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

Originally posted by genesis5521 View Post
          I'm brand new to welding. I received a Hobart Stickmate LX 235AC/160DC as a birthday present 2 years ago. I'm just now starting to play with it. I have a 50 Amp dedicated recepticle which accepts the Hobart's plug. But I want to use an extension cord so I can move the machine around my shop. Fleet Farm has a 25ft 8/3 welder extension cord. But I'm not familiar with stuff like this.

Will someone please click the link below and read the specs and tell me if this will do the trick.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/cci-.../0000000008922

Also, would this 8/3 wire be good enough to go 50 feet?

Thanks guys,

Don <><
          have you considered longer leads? sometimes you can fry a machine or any electrical tool if the cord is to thin or blow a breaker
          Miller Trailblazer 251
          Lincoln Electric Pro-Core 125
          14''chop saw
          7 inch grinder,2-4.5 inch grinders,electric die grinder
          half inch drill
          And alot of hand tools

Comment

Originally posted by Flux Core joe View Post
            have you considered longer leads? sometimes you can fry a machine or any electrical tool if the cord is to thin or blow a breaker
            The 8-3 cord is fine for this welder! The owner's manual lists a minimum of 12ga. on a dedicated circuit. While flexible cord is derated somewhat from permanently wired circuits, there is more than sufficient size in the 8 ga. wiring to cover the derating. As Urch55 stated, a cord in the 10 ga. range would work.
            Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

The Stickmate in question is spec'd at 47.5 Amps at rated output. You'll probably rarely get there and it is intermittent. That said, #8 cord ( 2 or 3 conductor) is generally rated at 40 Amps continuous.

http://www.stayonline.com/reference-...-ampacity.aspx

Here's one that says 50, but that may take into account it's for welding. $68. delivered.

http://www.brweldingsupplies.com/wel...n-cord-8-3-25/

At any rate, I'd feel more comfortable with #8.
              --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
              -------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by usmcpop View Post
                The Stickmate in question is spec'd at 47.5 Amps at rated output. You'll probably rarely get there and it is intermittent. That said, #8 cord ( 2 or 3 conductor) is generally rated at 40 Amps continuous.

http://www.stayonline.com/reference-...-ampacity.aspx

Here's one that says 50, but that may take into account it's for welding. $68. delivered.

http://www.brweldingsupplies.com/wel...n-cord-8-3-25/

At any rate, I'd feel more comfortable with #8.
                That is a great price. I missed that when I ordered one last month. I paid $79 shipped on eBay.

Comment

BR Welding does some good deals on occasion. They are a real brick-and-mortar store. Been there awhile.

Comment

BR Welding does some good deals on occasion. They are a real brick-and-mortar store. Been there awhile.
                    Several years ago I bought a 25' length of 8/3 power cord from Welding Depot IIRC. I hard wired it to my MM210. It has a much softer jacket than the newer pre-wired cords.

Comment

I don't know abut you guys, but if I am gonna do an extension cord, I'd go 6/3, 60 amps and its not gonna starve the welder and will hold up to continues use at high amps on the machine.

Now, that's just me, 8/3 should be just fine, maybe 10/3 but..........

Maybe that's just because I have 20+ foot coiled up.........
                      sigpic
                      Eastwood MIG135, never fails to make me wonder.
                      Lincoln idealarc 300/250: runs like it was made today. Looks like its seen some better days. Origin is Ashland lumber mill. Ready to go. Needs some new leads and a little specialty TLC.
                      Harris oxyacetylene set, 20cf oxy and 10cf ace
                      youtube channel :
                      http://m.youtube.com/#/user/Hobbywelder617

Comment

Originally posted by Hobby welder View Post
                        I don't know abut you guys, but if I am gonna do an extension cord, I'd go 6/3, 60 amps and its not gonna starve the welder and will hold up to continues use at high amps on the machine.

Now, that's just me, 8/3 should be just fine, maybe 10/3 but..........

Maybe that's just because I have 20+ foot coiled up.........
                        In theory, you are correct, but most people won't use a Stickmate at high enough amperage to need 6/3. Having a piece on hand does tip the balance.
                        Last edited by cope; 03-03-2013, 08:09 AM.

Comment

I recently bought some 6/3 SOOW cord (made in USA) for $3.50/ft locally. I think 8/3 is more like $2.50 - $2.75. The rubber SO cord is pretty flexible. The ends weren't too costly.

Comment

I recently bought some 6/3 SOOW cord (made in USA) for $3.50/ft locally. I think 8/3 is more like $2.50 - $2.75. The rubber SO cord is pretty flexible. The ends weren't too costly.
                            Many years ago, Hotfoot, a regular here, sold me a 100' 6/3 extension cord on a wooden spool for $85. A friend and I agreed to split the cost, and I cut the cord in half and made two cords out of it. My friend sold his Mig before he could come pick up the cord, and he told me to keep it., If I had known, I would have left it uncut.
                            Last edited by cope; 03-06-2013, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Joe, the welder comes with a 12 cord and plug, you will not "starve" a stickmate no matter how hard you run it, the thing would be a smokin cinder with a 10 before it would overheat the wire.
                              http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Working...
                              X