No announcement yet.

Solar Powered helmets.How does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Powered helmets.How does it work?

Hi I am thiking of purchasing this welding helmet here :http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-K2604-...3052565&sr=8-7

But the ting is I don't quite understand what they mean by it's solar powered...I am wondering if it won't work to well when i am welding at the welding shop..It's sheltered from the direct sun-light....so i was hoping if u guys based on your experience with it if as long as it's in the day from lets say 6:30 too 5:30 it would work fairly ok....Oh and can the auto-darkening feature can be switched on and off?Just in case the solar power don't work to well.....

Solar powered AD helmet

I have one of the cheapo ($49.99) AD helmets from Northern Tools, and it is solar powered with no battery back-up. Mine works ok indoors or out. Indoor lighting seems to make it work just like sunlight, as most solar powered things do. If this helmet is Lincoln, much better quality than mine, it should work fine. Just my opinion..........
    Nctox
    Stickmate LX 235/AC 160/DC
    HH 210

Comment

thanks nctox for that crucial piece of information....

Comment

Originally posted by nctox View Post
        I have one of the cheapo ($49.99) AD helmets from Northern Tools, and it is solar powered with no battery back-up. Mine works ok indoors or out. Indoor lighting seems to make it work just like sunlight, as most solar powered things do. If this helmet is Lincoln, much better quality than mine, it should work fine. Just my opinion..........
        I have the same helmet and have had the same experience with it.

Comment

As I understand it, the arc light powers the lens. It doesn't need direct sunlight to work. My AD hood works fine in a poorly lit shop.

Comment

Light from whatever source charges a battery. They do work indoors or out.
            If they are stored in the dark for a long time (months), the battery goes dead. It is a good idea to sit it in direct sun for a while after a long storage.

I can't remember for sure, but I think it went dark OK but was really slow and iffy coming back to clear. An hour in the sun fixed it right up.

Bob

Comment

Next One I get Will Have A Real Battery

I have had 2 of em, a HF cheapo and an Arc One that cost me double the $50 I paid for the HF Cheapie. In honesty the HF worked not quite as well but for 4 times longer. Both eventually developed "dark all the time syndrome". Both got left in a fairly sunny window in my garage in sub zero temps for long periods. The next one I get will be kept inside during the winter.
              Still, at the end of the day there is something to be said about a common sized changeable battery. I have used Nicad, Nimh types since the 70's in many applications and they are all unpredictable. They don't like to be fully drained and while a lot more forgiving today can still go **** up in short order for no reason. That goes double for the ones with slanted eyes. If you use it nearly every day I suppose you give it enough charge via the arc but most of us don't weld every day. At the end of the day if it drops dead it sure is nice to go out and get another battery for a couple bucks than try to nurse along an internal and hope it lasts and you have to toss the whole helment. Personally I have always found those "solar powered" goodies to be over rated in these small power applications.

Comment

I have three AD helmets from Jackson....Kinda heavy and very expensive...But I heard that the cheaper ones were made by a company owned by Ray Charles....
                Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
                Hobart Beta Mig 200
                Twenty seven Hammers
                Three Crow Bars
                One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

The Antras are really good for the 30 to 40 you pay for them and they are amazon guaranteed or whatever, dont buy none of that helmlets with the designs and flames and crap like that. Antra is more than gonna suit you, although SOME are not TIG rated.

Comment

Originally posted by viewcart View Post
                    The Antras are really good for the 30 to 40 you pay for them and they are amazon guaranteed or whatever, dont buy none of that helmlets with the designs and flames and crap like that. Antra is more than gonna suit you, although SOME are not TIG rated.
                    Really.... Are you just another spammer trying to sell.... You are responding to a 11 year old thread....

Dale
                    "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Working...
                    X