new stickmate lx235 messin up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new stickmate lx235 messin up

hey i just got a new stickmate lx 235 ac.. when i start to weld the amperage knob start turning from the vibration from the machine. causing it to get hotter or cooler. is there a way i can fix this? like i said i just got this for christmas and its already messin up..oh by the way, in all of the pictures ive seen of this welder, ive noticed that there are two knobs?? am i correct? itlooks like a /\ style knob and a bigger "not so precise" knob, mine only has the "not so precise knob haha...is that a problem...well thanks guy..

Is it also humming or buzzing loudly? There is an adjustment procedure in your manual that tightens the variac such that it doesn't hum so much. A slight tightening IAW the owners manual may fix your creeping adjustment.
    Blacksmith
    Stickmate LX AC/DC
    Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
    Hand cranked coal forge
    Freon bottle propane forge
    HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

as blacksmith stated in the owners manual, section 6-2 page 19 the anti-noise adjustment screws (4) will take care of the problem.

Comment

thanks guys..ya its also hummin...i cant believe it. i read that manual until my eyes wanted to pop out.. haha that mustve been the part that that i didnt think had to do with it! well thanks guys

Comment

hey sorry but i have another question. im reading the manual and im missing the "Pointer Gear" its on page 20 of the manual. is there a way i can buy one of these online?

Comment

Is this a new machine? If so, take it back to the dealer and get a different one.
            Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

ya its new but i would rather not bring it back because it would be a hard time to deal with tractor supply....id rather just buy the pointer gear if its only a couple bucks

Comment

Originally posted by dnesvacil View Post
                ya its new but i would rather not bring it back because it would be a hard time to deal with tractor supply....id rather just buy the pointer gear if its only a couple bucks
                It's missing parts, it's out of adjustment, I wouldn't waste my time on it if I were you. Sounds like it was a return or a floor model already. Tractor Supply is pretty easy to deal with.
                Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
                Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Originally posted by Zrexxer View Post
                  Is this a new machine? If so, take it back to the dealer and get a different one.
                  I agree.

And if you can swing it, throw in $100 (or whatever the difference is) and get the AC/DC version!

You'll be glad you did...

Comment

Second the AC?DC version. I only use AC now to see how much worse it makes my welds. DC allows you to weld nearly anything and look good doing it.
                    Blacksmith
                    Stickmate LX AC/DC
                    Hand cranked coal forge
                    HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

AC/Dc

At TSC the 235 AC is $279 and the AC/DC model is $479. Just for a little clarity on the price diff.

Comment

Ouch on the price! I see that the website lists $230 diff - $421 to $651. I guess I was in the right place at the right time and am out of touch with reality. Horrible Freight was dumping all their real welders so they could sell more Chicage Electric ones and I paid $289 for my LX AC/DC.
                        Blacksmith
                        Stickmate LX AC/DC
                        Hand cranked coal forge
                        HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
                          I paid $289 for my LX AC/DC.
                          Wow, what a deal! I paid $420 from Northern Equipment last summer...

Comment

i wouldve gotten the ac/dc but my pockets werent as deep as i wouldve liked...i'll only be doing personal stuff so i really dont care for that "better looking" weld...haha it just matters whether or not the weld will hold...but thanksa guys and ya i got it adjusted and i am just gonna email hobart and see if they cant send me the pointer gear...it would be more hassel to return it instead of just addin the pointer. now if it was somethin more serious then i would be there asap to return it!

Comment

In my opinion, i would just take it back, they cover it for 60 or 90 days or something like that, and it will not be a hassle (most likely). Personally i bought a 300 amp ground clamp there to replace the stock clamp that came with my stickmate (it scared me it was flimsy) and i didnt realize until i got home that it was missing a few pieces like the bolt that holds the bussiness end of the cable and the crimp that secured the cable to the clamp. So i took it back, and the let me take home a new 300 amp ground clamp PLUS a 300 amp stinger for the inconvenience! i dunno if the cute girl at the register liked me, if it was just sheer luck , but hey its worth a shot to get a different machine, because if even if it seems minimal like that, it will lead to problems most likely in the future. Remember it only takes one tiny crack to eventually bring a bridge down.
                              Hobart Handler 140

Hobart Stickmate 235 AC

Victor Tag-Along Oxy/Acetylene Setup

Comment

Working...
                              X