Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on Duty Cycle(not what you think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Duty Cycle(not what you think)

Hi

I have a lincoln 225 buzz box and because I don't have electricity in the shed, I hook it up to a generator. If the duty cycle is 20%, that of course would mean that for every 2 minutes of welding, I need to let it cool 8 minutes.

My question is this. Does that 8 minutes cooling include when you have the welder and the generator turned off or does it mean you need the welder on with the fan going for 8 minutes?

Rick,

The duty cycle ratings are with the machine powered up. The best way to explain it is the fan continues to pull air through the welder cooling it when not welding. If you turn it off it would be much like turning off an oven after a cake is done but not removing it. The result is the welder/cake sets and continues to cook instead of cooling.
    DrIQ

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it

It's basically ARC-Time, not clock time. I have never hit a duty cycle issue and have done a load of welding. If you do, you'll know it and grab a cup of coffee or do some prep while she cools down. But please don't watch the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by PJinNJ View Post
        But please don't watch the clock.
        Heck, why not... if he gets good enough at clock watching then he can get a high-paying union job
        Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

The duty cycle on your machine is 20% at a specific amperage, as you run the machine at lower amperages your duty cycle goes up. I don't have any idea what your machine is rated at but you can look that up.

So you have more arc time available as you run the machine cooler.

And you really do need to keep an eye on duty cycle, specially with a small machine because you can smoke them if you overdo it. Even if you don't completely smoke the machine, you will be building more heat in the windings than it's designed for and shortening the life of the machine.

JTMcC.

Comment

The 20% duty cycle is based on a 225 amp output. you will probably never use 225 amps. If you use fewer amps, the duty cycle goes up. The 10 minute cycle period is based on the machine being turned on all the time so the fan can draw air across the transformer.

Comment

Every tombstone I have seen was 100% at 85 amps only, at least according to the front panel. This flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but that is what I obserevd.

Comment

Thanks for the info. You've helped a lot. I usually don't run the welder over 100 amps. I use mostly 3/32 rod. Next time I use it, I'm going to leave it running and let it cool. Thanks again.

Comment

The odds of you hurting that machine at 100 amps are slim. You would have to burn rods almost non stop.
                  Jim

Miller MM 210
                  Miller Dialarc 250P
                  Airco 225 engine driven
                  Victor O/A
                  Lots of other tools and always wanting more

Comment

I ran my tombstone AC/DC almost non stop for over an hour in a 50 degree building at 105/115, I dont recall how long it takes to burn 10# of 1/8 but I put them in the stinger about as fast as humanly possible. With 3/32 I dont think a guy could burn it up.
                    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Yeah, if you burn up that machine you're going to be everybody's hero.

Comment

By the way. Whats the duty cycle of your generator?

Comment

Generator cycle

It doesn't really say on the generator at all. But, I think it's like 2%. That would mean I run it for 2 years and I wait 98 years for it to cool. (haha) I don't really know.

Comment

Originally posted by RickCHowe View Post
                            It doesn't really say on the generator at all. But, I think it's like 2%. That would mean I run it for 2 years and I wait 98 years for it to cool. (haha) I don't really know.
                            I don't care who you are........That's funny
                            Nick
                            Syncrowave 200 Tig
                            Century 50 Amp Plasma
                            2- O/A outfits
                            Spot welder
                            Jet Lathe and Mill
                            Jet 7x12 horiz/vert bandsaw
                            DeWalt Multi Cutter Metal Saw
                            Electric Hydraulic vertical press
                            CNC 60"x60" Plasma/Router table
                            www.nixstuff.com
                            www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ

Comment

Lincoln 225 AC buzz box is 100% duty cycle @ 75 Amps

Comment

Working...
                              X