Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

welding galvanized pipe

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • welding galvanized pipe

    What electrode is best to weld galvanized pipe (about .050 wall)? I hear the best thing is to grind off the galvanizing, but if I can't do that what's my best setup for galvanized to galvanized and galvanized to mild steel (1/4 thk)?
    TomK

  • #2
    You'd just use the same electrode as you would for mild steel. The zinc will burn off before the steel even starts to melt and won't cause an issue with the weld.

    The biggest issue is you breathing the zinc fumes... be careful! Use good ventilation and possibly even a respirator.

    Grinding it is best however.

    A .050" wall is rather thin to be stick welding. It'll be doable, but tricky and you are likely to burn through.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250
    Lincoln Weldanpower CC/CV engine drive
    Lincoln LN-25 wire feeder
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Various oxy-fuel setups featuring Victor, Harris, and Prest-o-lite products

    Comment


    • #3
      I've welded galvanized with 6011. Like the first reply mentions, watch the fumes. You'll get a lot of smoke when welding on galvanized. It's always best to remove it if possible.
      Jim

      Miller MM 210
      Miller Dialarc 250P
      Airco 225 engine driven
      Victor O/A
      Lots of other tools and always wanting more

      Comment


      • #4
        Zinc in spore form (the white fluffy stuff that comes off when welding) is a carcinogen....
        And the problems with welding is zinc embrittlement (brittle welds).

        Thats the main health hazard and manufacturing hazard.

        It is doable, but grinding is the best advice

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MIKIEweld View Post
          Zinc in spore form (the white fluffy stuff that comes off when welding) is a carcinogen....
          You are mistaken, wrong, and full of ****!
          If you lived where the sun actually shined, you'd know that zinc "spore" is used in sunscreen. And is not carcinogenic, poisonous, and is only an irritant to the gutty bits in large dosages by mouth.
          Now the invisible fume (before it turns into white floaty things) will cause 'metal fume fever' an allergic reaction.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Pumpkinhead View Post
            You are mistaken, wrong, and full of ****!
            If you lived where the sun actually shined, you'd know that zinc "spore" is used in sunscreen. And is not carcinogenic, poisonous, and is only an irritant to the gutty bits in large dosages by mouth.
            Now the invisible fume (before it turns into white floaty things) will cause 'metal fume fever' an allergic reaction.
            Different terminology either side of the pond I guess, but it's still a carcinogen, unless you guys know how to alter it......

            Comment


            • #7
              I don't know if it's a carcinogen or not, but I do know it can pose health issues beyond the nuisance level. I've read about blacksmiths who have died from long term zinc exposure from smithing galvanized for weeks on end.
              Lincoln Idealarc 250
              Lincoln Weldanpower CC/CV engine drive
              Lincoln LN-25 wire feeder
              Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
              Various oxy-fuel setups featuring Victor, Harris, and Prest-o-lite products

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Pumpkinhead View Post
                You are mistaken, wrong, and full of ****!
                If you lived where the sun actually shined, you'd know that zinc "spore" is used in sunscreen. And is not carcinogenic, poisonous, and is only an irritant to the gutty bits in large dosages by mouth.
                Now the invisible fume (before it turns into white floaty things) will cause 'metal fume fever' an allergic reaction.
                Originally posted by moya034 View Post
                I don't know if it's a carcinogen or not, but I do know it can pose health issues beyond the nuisance level. I've read about blacksmiths who have died from long term zinc exposure from smithing galvanized for weeks on end.
                Believe me guys, I work a bit higher up than just a hobbiest or welder.....
                Reading this forum, I can see we work at different levels of standards.
                You cannot alter physical effects of anything, they will be a universal standard to both sides of the pond..... Lets just say....As they are discovering that more and more things are detrimental to our well being, just keep as far from the fumes as possible.......
                See Pumkinhead, thats how to do it without being offensive...
                ps... We use the terminology *Pumpkinhead* for loud brash people who think they know it all.... Honest

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MIKIEweld View Post
                  Believe me guys, I work a bit higher up than just a hobbiest or welder.....
                  Reading this forum, I can see we work at different levels of standards.
                  You cannot alter physical effects of anything, they will be a universal standard to both sides of the pond..... Lets just say....As they are discovering that more and more things are detrimental to our well being, just keep as far from the fumes as possible.......
                  See Pumkinhead, thats how to do it without being offensive...
                  ps... We use the terminology *Pumpkinhead* for loud brash people who think they know it all.... Honest
                  Well said my friend.
                  Wheelchair
                  Last edited by Wheelchair; 12-22-2008, 11:39 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So, in Elfland carcinogenic doesn't mean causes cancer?
                    Look up some data and link it from your side of the pond that states it's carcinogenic, otherwise, it's hearsay.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Tom, I do a lot of .050" galvanized pipe, as you can see >>here<<.

                      I do not grind it at all...the amount of galvo on it isn't much...the best advice is to not breathe the fumes, use a small fan to suck the smoke away from you. Flux core MIG, (pardon the oxymoron) is the best way to go, but any stick will do...it just might give you a pinhole or two.

                      You will get more cancer from eating meat, than breathing zinc fumes.

                      Metal fume poisoning from welding galv is not life threatening, you will experience a metallic taste in your mouth, possible sick stomach, and be very tired...the body is marvelous in getting rid if it in a max of 48 hours, provided your immune system is not otherwise compromised.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Feels like a bad case of Flu.
                        Jim
                        I can weld but I'm not a welder.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Don't confuse "zinc chromate" with ordinary zinc. Totally different creature. The Chromate is the key word.

                          http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/cancer/npotocca.html

                          This is the potential list, not necessarily the known list.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hey Rockey, I tried to weld over some old sort of heavily galvanized angle iron and 6010 would not burn through it. Had to grind off. Does that sound right or was I doing something else wrong?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mcostello View Post
                              Hey Rockey, I tried to weld over some old sort of heavily galvanized angle iron and 6010 would not burn through it. Had to grind off. Does that sound right or was I doing something else wrong?
                              There are two major types of galvanized pipe...electro-galvanize and hot dip galvanize. Hot dip has much more on it than the electro. .050" would be electro-galvanized tubing, which is what I show on Photobucket,...it's top rail from the orange apron guys. Pipe, or angle, can be either. Hot dip should be ground to weld on...but can be unground...it's just more apt to blow holes. Fumes from hot dip are greater, also.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X