Rod compatability? Cain't remember.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod compatability? Cain't remember.

I'm fitting up some 6" diameter X 3/8" wall well casing in my outdoor non-pressure boiler. Been so long since I've done heavy wall steel pipe I can't remember if this is kosher or not. I'm doing the root beads with 6011. I have a slew of 7014 rod, but not enough 6011 for the full beads. Can I use 7014 for the cover passes with out ill effect on the finished weld?
    Been Tigging stainless so long I've forgotten.

It will work.
    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

That is absolutely acceptable.
      Lincoln Idealarc 250
      Lincoln Weldanpower CC/CV engine drive
      Lincoln LN-25 wire feeder
      Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
      Various oxy-fuel setups featuring Victor, Harris, and Prest-o-lite products

Comment

Thanks guys! I was thinking it was ok but considering the broad range of advise available on the web, I thought I would ask. Old Charlie and Ray I worked with back in the late 70s who taught me the finer points of pipe welding were real big on not mixing rod (but to them it was sometimes acceptable if they had to chase down more rod vs. what was at hand).
        One thing those guys were real tough about was not using 7014 or 7018 on a root bead. I think this was mainly due to lower penetration. They were steam fitters by trade.

Comment

Well it all depends. Ideally you don't want to mix filler metals of different PSI ratings. However, you stated your application is not holding any pressure so it's not much of an issue.

Now there are many applications where a mix of 6010 and 7018 are used on pipe joints that are meant to hold pressure. In that case however, some engineer has sat down with his calculator and figured out it's OK.

7014 and 7018 isn't typically used on a root pass, because while doing an open root with them is possible, it's quite difficult as far as the operator is concerned. So, you have a high likelihood of screwing things up.
          Lincoln Idealarc 250
          Lincoln Weldanpower CC/CV engine drive
          Lincoln LN-25 wire feeder
          Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
          Various oxy-fuel setups featuring Victor, Harris, and Prest-o-lite products

Comment

Working...
          X