Antique Hobart Weldmobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique Hobart Weldmobile

I am looking for information, especially pictures of a Hobart Weldmobile.

I think the one I've seen in Topeka, Kansas was from the 1930's or 40's. The fenders look strange to me, I'm not sure they were factory original. I'm a model builder. Scratch build out of brass and copper and would like to make it like it came out of the factory.

I would like factory photos, brochures, or construction site photos that would have a weldmobile in them.

DannyDowns

You know, there was one posted, with a picture, somewhere, either here or on Miller Motorsports, but I have no idea what search term to use to dig it up. I do know they weren't completely uncommon, I had the opportunity to use one back in the late 70's or early 80's. As I recall, the railroads had a few of them .....
    *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

I posted a link here awhile back, but not the pics. Alas, it is not there anymore. My bad.
      --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
      -------------------------

Comment

My old friend, Franz came to the rescue, as he often does whether you need rescuing or not...he is a wealth of information.

http://z6.invisionfree.com/ToolBoxTa...showtopic=1613

The machine was built by Clark with a Hobart Bros generator. You might recall a few of them generators being PTO driven in Jeeps and M-37 trucks.

Comment

Gentlemen,

The picture is a Hobart "Big Wheeler" self-propelled DC arc weldmobile model SP-418-W or SP-618-W. There was also a smaller unit called the narrow gage weldmobile model SP-418-NW for use in plants with narrow isles and doorways using standard tires front and rear.

The unit pictured is missing the Hobart name plate on the top front of the radiator cowel and the rear fender. Thr grill guards on the lights etc. were standard factory equipment.

The 418's were 400 amp 40 volts at 60% duty cycle - 50-500 amp range
          The 618's were 600 amp 40 volts at 60% duty cycle - 70-800 amp range

The big wheeler had a max speed of 20 miles per hour
          The narrow gauge had a max speed of 10 miles per hour

Comment

Close Enough ??

Radio-Flyer Welder..........
            Also missing the name-Plate...

vg
            sigpicViceGrip
            Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

No this is a radio flyer welder....

Comment

Different Model picture

I have a picture of what I think is an older model than the one in the picture provided by Rocky. I can send a picture of it if you would contact me at brassmodels@gmail.com

Comment

Picture of Hobart Weldmobile ?1940's? model

Finally figured out how to post a picture of the weldmobile I found in a storage unit. Does anyone recognize it. getting a more accurate date on it would be nice. Are the fenders factory original, or has somebody fabbed them up later?

Comment

Here's a 1939 patent for a Hobart "Tractor Welder":

http://www.google.com/patents?id=m-R...BAJ&dq=2244063

The drawings don't tell you much as far as what fenders and the like eventually looked like.

Comment

Finally ran across some more pictures of that weldmobile at http://yeeshamundo.onfinite.com/album/817430/1260876/

Comment

I'd probably pee all down my leg if I found one of those for sale, and I'm not sure why, because I have absolutely ZERO use for one Still, it would be calling my name, I'm sure..
                        Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
                        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

I want one of these!

Comment

Originally posted by Zrexxer View Post
                            I'd probably pee all down my leg if I found one of those for sale, and I'm not sure why, because I have absolutely ZERO use for one Still, it would be calling my name, I'm sure..
                            There was one for sale on ebay a few years ago listed as if the reserve isnt met it will never be offered again. As far as I know it never sold.

Comment

Originally posted by usmcpop View Post
                              I want one of these!

...So...You would RELISH one???
                              "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Working...
                              X