P&H Welder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P&H Welder

I got a P&H DAR 300 HFGW today it is AC/DC (420/300 amps) with High Freq. I have been looking thru the archives and found some posts regarding similar welders. One thread someone said that they knew of an Army operators manual for a DAR 300. Sounded like an online .pdf or something. Anybody know the link to the manual or how to get one?

Here are a couple of pictures...well scratch that, I can't get em down to 100 kb...what's the deal with that?
    I Finally Got My Head Together and Now My Body Is Falling Apart...

Check here for manuals
    http://www.arcowelder.com/

Comment

Here is a picture of the welder the day I got it. I got it hooked up and it burns 7018's smooth as silk. I have been using an AC only red tombstone for about 25 years burning mostly 6013 and what I weld don't break but they don't all look like welds I see posted here and elsewhere on the net...but now with DC and 7018's I can make a dang purty weld every time

Comment

Man, that puppy looks oler'n me!! I used a P&H for many years...good machines.

Comment

P&h

Man that thing is old. P&H were made in Toronto by Regent Manufacturing Co.in the 50's . I looks like you have a ac/dc machine with H.F. and remote cabable for tig welding. Of course they are no longer with us. I do have some wiring diagrams for these machines but no owners guide.Congrats and good luck with your new toy.
          O.F.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
            I got a P&H DAR 300 HFGW today it is AC/DC (420/300 amps) with High Freq. I have been looking thru the archives and found some posts regarding similar welders. One thread someone said that they knew of an Army operators manual for a DAR 300. Sounded like an online .pdf or something. Anybody know the link to the manual or how to get one?

Here are a couple of pictures...well scratch that, I can't get em down to 100 kb...what's the deal with that?
            witness, I sent you a PM with a link to the army manual that I posted.

Brad

Hobart BetaMig 200
            Linde HDA-200 AC/DC Tig/Stick
            Dayton Buzzbox

Comment

Thanks, I got the manual and mine is very similar, but not exactly like that one. I wish mine had all of those gages on it, not that I need them, it just looks cool Here is a better picture...

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                Thanks, I got the manual and mine is very similar, but not exactly like that one. I wish mine had all of those gages on it, not that I need them, it just looks cool Here is a better picture...
                Your welder looks just like mine. Only real difference is yours was taken care of and mine was left out in a field for years before I got it!

I'm sure you'll enjoy the heck out of it. Smoothest welding stick welder I've ever used. I still haven't had a chance to use the tig much but hopefully that will change this winter.

Brad

Hobart BetaMig 200
                Linde HDA-200 AC/DC Tig/Stick
                Dayton Buzzbox

Comment

That's just like the one I used to use,...but you got the water tank, with it...does it still hold water....hopefully they used demi water with antifreeze, if not it'll prolly have holes in it.

Comment

Yes it is very smooth. I might just have to buy a larger welding helmet because I'm starting to think I'm a pretty decent welder

It is still full of antifreeze. The rheostat in the pedal is broken, but I have found a place that says that he can get one. So, hopefully I just need that and a torch, bottle and gauge and I'll be able to try TIG...after doing some more reading and watching a couple of videos. Then I'm sure I'll be asking a bunch of questions about that. But, that will be a while, I have too many things to do now although I may start gathering the needed pieces sometime fairly soon.

Comment

Just a caution on the antifreeze. Don't use automotive coolant because it has coagulants in it to plug small leaks in the system and usually a tig torch has a very small space to let coolant through so it figures there is a leak and will eventually plug up the torch head. Another problem is it was never designed to be resistant to the voltages generated by the HF used in tig welding so HF losses are common when using the automotive stuff.

Comment

I often wondered about that...I have always felt that way, but our maintenance guys insisted on putting in the tanks. I just wanted demi water. I used to have to clean the goo out the tiny orifices in our Cobramatics...A major pain.

Comment

I've got the exact one in the picture it is a great tig Ive welded alum ss mild it doe's a great job. Just don't have the pulse but that does'nt bother me a bit. I'm glad I bought it.

Comment

Can you help me identify this older P&H welder

I have a P&H ARC WELDER Model TSP 300 HFGW that I would like to learn more about. I've searched some and this is not the only thread that mentions the Army manual for P&H but it the thread I will bump up hoping someone will share that LINK with me so I'll have something to read. I have a lot to learn.

What does the TSP stand for? HFGW (high frequency gas welder)? The unit I have is an AC welder (no DC), the others here are both AC and DC. I do also have the foot sw., TIG torch, circulating pump (hoses are shot), reg/flowmeter and a big tank of Argon. I read in one of the post on the P&H welders that you can feed them 60 Amps (I think it calls for ~85 at full tilt) and that would be where I start. I have 150 amps available in the panel but I wired my welder plugs for 60 and that should be enough to evaluate this machine.

Anyway, if anyone can enlighten me about this welder I promise to get my 65 year old gray matter to suck it up. Thanks, Steve

Comment

Originally posted by bkahler View Post
                              witness, I sent you a PM with a link to the army manual that I posted.

Brad
                              i now have one of these p & h dar 300's, and I would really appreciate that link for the army manual on how to use all the fancy features on this thing........ any help on this would be awesome!!

Comment

Working...
                              X