Adding quick connector to Argon Gas hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding quick connector to Argon Gas hose

I got a Hobart Welder, Handler 190 and H100s4-10 gun. I'm wanting to add a quick connect to my argon hose. Is this possible/advisable? I see that Fastenal has a connector called Oxy-Acetylene Quick Connects. Would this work? Does the before connectors need a crimping tool to fasten in line or is a barbed nipple able to be screwed into fitting? Thanks

rickluc. welcome to the forum.
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast PA 200

Comment

Originally posted by M J Mauer View Post
      rickluc. welcome to the forum.

Just found the Board. Thanks

Comment

I use a standard air hose quick connect. Male out of my regulators, females on the lines.

Comment

Standard air quality connector tend to leak.... When I was doing HOT GLASS work I always recommended welding quality quick connect as they are better quality and tend to be less leak prone.... Can you do it?..No reason why not.... Does hose have to be crimped, not really, but I prefer the type of clamp uses on fuel injections systems over "worm" type hose clamps...

They are less likely to strip and do not bruise hose as much in area where clamping force is applied...

Also be a ware the oxy/fuel welding style connectors use what is called "B" fittings, I believe 9/16 x 18 threads... Standard NPT and such will not work well.... Just be sure if you go with welding QC that you get barbed nipples with proper threads Also "fuel" hose connector are left hand thread oxygen standard right hand threads... Suggest you get all your parts at LWS and not try hardware store stuff unless going with "air" fittings...

Dale
          Last edited by Dale M.; 08-18-2016, 09:38 AM.
          Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay Walters View Post
            I use a standard air hose quick connect. Male out of my regulators, females on the lines.
            Odd... Should be female at regulator and male on hose and same sequence (female to male) all the way to device (welder?) you are connected to ... This way if you disconnect at any place you do not get free flow...

Dale
            Last edited by Dale M.; 08-18-2016, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions so far. That would be another question, I have now. Coming out of the back of the welder is a connection with a short 5 foot hose. I've used a barb connection and lengthened that hose like 30 feet. So the fitting at back of welder with the hose on it, what is that connection called and what size is it? I would like to get new connection and just fasten the new 30 foot hose with out the 5 foot piece that came with welder. Thanks

P.S. Is that what they are calling an inert B connection?

Comment

Way back in dim recesses of my mind I think I recall it being a CGA 320....Probably can vetify that from chart at link below....

http://www.concoa.com/cgachart.html

Dale

Comment

If your tank rides on the welder cart I don't understand the need of a quick conn.
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mla2ofus View Post
                    If your tank rides on the welder cart I don't understand the need of a quick conn.
                    Mike
                    I'm sorry I didn't mention that earlier, the tank is mounted to wall. Right now I have my welder mounted on 4 inch high cart that I pull up the aisle of school bus. I have my 10 gauge extension cord hanging on wall and pull out what ever length I need. That and the hose is too cumbersome to mount on cart. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
                      Way back in dim recesses of my mind I think I recall it being a CGA 320....Probably can vetify that from chart at link below....

http://www.concoa.com/cgachart.html

Dale
                      Thanks, looks like right page. All I need to do is figure out which one CGA 032 or CGA 034 maybe?

Comment

Think I have a case of CRS (Cant Remember S***) oh well... Appears it is a CGA 032 by comparing measurements on chart to what my Handler has...

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
                          Think I have a case of CRS (Cant Remember S***) oh well... Appears it is a CGA 032 by comparing measurements on chart to what my Handler has...

Dale
                          Thanks a bunch

Comment

Got it. Had local weld shop get what I needed. Western Enterprises Quick-Connects (inert gas-B-size, 5/8-18 unf thread, regular qdb34) Thanks for advice. Great!
                            Last edited by rickluc; 09-07-2016, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X