X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder life expectancy

Hello,

Everyone, i am new here, first post..

I just bought a Hobart 190, haven't used it yet, but, i am old school, heavy things, mean quality, and this thing, weighs a ton..i know, this was a good decision. .

I really don't like the hassle of cleanup after using flux core, so i will be primarily using solid core..

Now to my question, what is the life expectancy of a cylinder, there are several on ebay, 80 cfm bottles, but i don't want to buy one, that won't last, i was told by seller, that it was last tested in 2008..

The difference between the ebay bottle and new, is about 80.00

What do you guys think..
    Last edited by Liveinxs; 02-21-2016, 08:19 AM.
    Hobart Handler 190

I would look to local gas supplier for bottle..... E-bay may not always be a "deal".... Cylinders have a hydrostatic test, retest date and if cylinder is out of date it may cost you to have it re-certifies if you can't sneak it past person on gas dock.... Then with buying online there is shipping...

I purchased my cylinder from "local" gas supplier, and have paper work stating I own 1 cylinder.... Which I can exchange any time with full cylinder at supplier... As long as cylinder has certification who cares...

Buying a "personalized" cylinder is sort of wrong thinking because to keep possession of specific cylinder means you have to take to gas supplier, request it be filled and returned to you, it might actually take a couple of weeks for round trip, IF it ever comes back to you... Sort of had to laugh at a person a while back who painted his tank becasue he could not stand its shabby appearance and was highly up set when he did not get it back from gas supplier after refill..... Its a tank, you need not worry if it's bright shinny clean or not, you use the gas and exchange it.... Its all about the gas...

Be aware though local purchase can either be good or bad.... AIRGAS quoted me $300 for 125cuft cylinder of C25... Thinking it was a little high, went about 6 blocks down street to PRAXAIR and got same cylinder with same amount of gas for $198... Hmmmm....... And when left sales area to pickup cylinder at gas dock, gas dock jockey did not have any full 125's so it was "here take this 175cuft".... Got me to come back to their store for my other needs....

This page may explain some about cylinder test and re certification...

http://www.c-f-c.com/gaslink/docs/dot_cylinder.htm

Dale
    Last edited by Dale M.; 02-21-2016, 11:14 AM.
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post

Be aware though local purchase can either be good or bad.... AIRGAS quoted me $300 for 125cuft cylinder of C25... Thinking it was a little high, went about 6 blocks down street to PRAXAIR and got same cylinder with same amount of gas for $198... Hmmmm....... And when left sales area to pickup cylinder at gas dock, gas dock jockey did not have any full 125's so it was "here take this 175cuft"....
      Got me to come back to their store for my other needs....

Dale
      Put your city and state in your profile.........
      ........find a good (cu$tomer friendly) dealer in your area,
      and do as much of your purchasing there as you can.

If you take care of them, they'll often as not, take good care of you.
      sigpicViceGrip
      Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

A lot of good advice in the two previous replies.

People get hung up on "owning" a cylinder. You don't use a cylinder, you use the gas in it. That's what matters. I might bring in a an empty green tank, leave with a full orange one and it's all good.

Think if it as buying a membership in a members-only club. Buying a cylinder gets you a place in a cylinder "pool", where if the valve needs repair, it gets done without you knowing about it. When a hydrotest is due they take care of it, and the cost of these services is wrapped up in what you pay to swap the bottle.

This is a business were personal relationships with the local welding store (LWS) proprietor can go a long way. Call around to the LWS in your area and ask what they charge for a cylinder, and what subsequent tank swaps go for. Usually when you buy a tank locally the first fill is included in the price. Then check out the store to see what they carry and get an idea if the man/woman behind the counter wants your business. I'm a hobbyist, not an A-list customer, but the local Praxair guy makes it clear he values my patronage and I return the favor whenever possible. It makes the difference between "I can special-order your parts in two days" versus "I don't carry that".

And put your location in your profile. That way someone close to you can steer you to the good guys and save you wasting time with the stinkers.
        CanoeCruiser
        Harris dual-stage O/A
        Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
        Hobart IronMan 210
        Lincoln PowerMig 135
        Miller 3035 spoolgun
        Thermal Arc 185
        Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
        Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
        Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

Wow, you guys who responded are the best, i am not use to such replies, normally you get 5 word responses..

It makes sense about renting as opposed to owning, never thought of it that way, its funny, I was gonna buy a used tank, and pretty it up, lol

I am in Bridgewater NJ, I will figure out how to put it in profile..

I did call Airgas and was given a price of 81 cents day to rent a tank and 70.00 to fill it with C25, seamed a bit high to me, as Cyberweld wants 43.00 to fill a 80 cfm tank..
          Hobart Handler 190

Comment

I found it was cheaper to buy. 81 cents a day would pay for new tank in less than a year? One retailer here sells tanks and you get yours filled while you wait. Hydro good for 10 years on new, required every 5 years after that. The 250 cu ft size was a lot better deal on fills than smaller tanks.

Lets see some projects
            Miller 251
            Miller Synchrowave 250 DX
            Hobart Fabricator/No. 27 feeder
            Hypertherm 45 Powermax
            Hypertherm 190C
            Miller XP 130
            Princess Auto 400 amp DC Diesel Generator/project

Comment

Originally posted by BobJ View Post
              I found it was cheaper to buy. 81 cents a day would pay for new tank in less than a year? One retailer here sells tanks and you get yours filled while you wait. Hydro good for 10 years on new, required every 5 years after that. The 250 cu ft size was a lot better deal on fills than smaller tanks.

Lets see some projects
              I hope to get some projects started soon, i am planning on building 2 custom bumpers for my H2 Hummer, my next purchase, is going to be a plasma cutter, still trying to decide on which one.

I like the idea of staying with Hobart for the plasma, the 27i model, but Hypertherm makes a killer plasma, the Powermax 30 Air, has built in compressor
              Last edited by Liveinxs; 02-21-2016, 03:37 PM.
              Hobart Handler 190

Comment

Some of those newer bumpers are works of art. I have hypertherm 45 and really like it. Had bad experience with on board compressor unit (hypertherm 190C), compressor took current that would have been better used on plasma arc. Still prefer the torches for ferrous above 1/4". Hate the $$$$ consumables. Haha
                Miller 251
                Miller Synchrowave 250 DX
                Hobart Fabricator/No. 27 feeder
                Hypertherm 45 Powermax
                Hypertherm 190C
                Miller XP 130
                Princess Auto 400 amp DC Diesel Generator/project

Comment

I've had leaking issues with more than one of the exchange "leased" and "owned" tanks.

Maybe just because I'm a wimp, but Even Manhandling the valve closed after use does not guarantee the cylinder will be as full the next time I use it.
                  I keep thinking about buying new tanks so I'm the only monkey abusing the valve, or at least bringing a sprayer of soapy water for an acceptance test the next time I swap a tank

Comment

I've had a few tanks that were low on pressure. You find out about this when you get home and put a regulator on it and crack the valve. I note it and the next time I'm at the LWS I tell the counter man and he makes it right. Those tanks I'm sure were low when moved from the dock to my truck. I keep two of everything in case I run out on a weekend, but it doesn't make much difference now that I'm retired and don't weld for an employer.
                    CanoeCruiser
                    Harris dual-stage O/A
                    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
                    Hobart IronMan 210
                    Lincoln PowerMig 135
                    Miller 3035 spoolgun
                    Thermal Arc 185
                    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
                    Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
                    Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

Originally posted by Liveinxs View Post

I did call Airgas and was given a price of 81 cents day to rent a tank and 70.00 to fill it with C25, seamed a bit high to me, as Cyberweld wants 43.00 to fill a 80 cfm tank..
                      Insist you want to buy a bottle.
                      Some try to get you to lease or rent, but will relent and sell you one.
                      Shop around if you have options.
                      sigpicViceGrip
                      Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

Originally posted by vicegrip View Post
                        Insist you want to buy a bottle.
                        Some try to get you to lease or rent, but will relent and sell you one.
                        Shop around if you have options.
                        Definitely purchase or go somewhere else to purchase. I have a set of regulators used only to test cylinder pressure when I pick up a cylinder from my welding gas supplier. They don't mind I verify the cylinder pressure at all. They even have the conversion charts for temperature offset so I know I'm getting a full cylinder whether is 90 degrees, or 20 degrees in the warehouse which is a large piece of mind.
                        Thanks for reading/listening.

Antique Hobart Engine Drive Lover X5

Comment

Working...
                        X