Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 12ci Plasma Cutter- What am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 12ci Plasma Cutter- What am I doing wrong?

I just got my plasma cutter in the mail and I can't seem to get the thing to operate correctly. The arch fires and I can get it to cut about 1/2 inch long (on 16 gauge sheet) then it just kicks off. The power button starts flashing and the cup button starts flashing intermittently. Cup seems fine, and everything is hand tight.

Any input? I'm new to plasma cutting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9032.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	709400
    Last edited by IRQVET; 05-23-2020, 12:10 AM.
    HOBART 210 MPV
    Northern Industrial 125

Originally posted by IRQVET View Post
    I just got my plasma cutter in the mail and I can't seem to get the thing to operate correctly. The arch fires and I can get it to cut about 1/2 inch long (on 16 gauge sheet) then it just kicks off. The power button starts flashing and the cup button starts flashing intermittently. Cup seems fine, and everything is hand tight.

Any input? I'm new to plasma cutting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9032.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	709400
    Have you checked your input voltage as your manual advises?

Comment

Can't you unpack that for me? The short anwser is no.
      HOBART 210 MPV
      Northern Industrial 125

Comment

Originally posted by IRQVET View Post
        Can't you unpack that for me? The short anwser is no.
        A flashing power light indicates your input voltage is less or more than the range allowed. (something like 90 - 130 V) Could be a problem with your input power cord or plug or your outlet power source, or just a dirty or loose connection in the input circuit. Use a Volt ohm meter to check.
        Last edited by Northweldor; 05-25-2020, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Solved the voltage issue, but now another issue has reared it ugly head. My plasma will strike an arch but it keeps cutting out after less than a half inch of cutting. WTF is going on, is it me (its probably me) or is the machine a dud?

That cup light keeps flashing too. Not all the time, but intermittently.

There was a slight learning curve with my welder when I first got it, but not as steep of a learning curve compared to plasma cutting . . .
          Last edited by IRQVET; 05-26-2020, 09:19 PM.
          HOBART 210 MPV
          Northern Industrial 125

Comment

What was the voltage issue? How did you resolve it? This will give us clues as to your other issues.

Can you confirm that you've read the manual and are following its instructions and troubleshooting ideas first?

Comment

Hello,

A flashing Cup light indicates that the torch consumables are stuck or worn and should be inspected and/or replaced, as Northweldor stated a flashing power light indicates that the input power is less than 92 volts AC or greater than 136 volts AC.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                What was the voltage issue? How did you resolve it? This will give us clues as to your other issues.

Can you confirm that you've read the manual and are following its instructions and troubleshooting ideas first?
                Moved it to another plug with more voltage.

I find the troubleshooting guide to general in scope, tells you what the problem is but there is not alot in terms of tackling the issue.
                HOBART 210 MPV
                Northern Industrial 125

Comment

I'm not going to keep making guesses when getting so little info in return. Good luck with your issue.

Comment

Move your ground clamp closer to your work.

Comment

Working...
                    X