Minimum Air Pressure and CFM for Hobart 27i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum Air Pressure and CFM for Hobart 27i

I just purchased the 27i. One question: Has anyone experienced falling air pressure below the 90 PSI/3CFM recommendation? say to 80 or 70 PSI. I am not worried about the CFM rating of my compressor. Other plasma cutters seems to have a wide range before you lose the ability to actually cut. The Hypertherm actually cuts off. The Forney can drop to 65PSI before you are unable to cut. I suppose I could experiment with variances in minimum air pressures. Any info or real insight would be helpful. I sent a note to Hobart. I called a service center and they did not know the answer?!

Originally posted by Bobby J View Post
    I just purchased the 27i. One question: Has anyone experienced falling air pressure below the 90 PSI/3CFM recommendation? say to 80 or 70 PSI. I am not worried about the CFM rating of my compressor. Other plasma cutters seems to have a wide range before you lose the ability to actually cut. The Hypertherm actually cuts off. The Forney can drop to 65PSI before you are unable to cut. I suppose I could experiment with variances in minimum air pressures. Any info or real insight would be helpful. I sent a note to Hobart. I called a service center and they did not know the answer?!
    Well Bobby, my answer is no. No I don't have a 27i, nor have I used one if it was possible at lower air pressure. Thinking about it, it's also been sometime since using PA for cutting anything.

Are you trying save air? Because using less air will have adverse effects to the process and the cut quality it produces. That's not to mention the effects on consumable erosion.

If you think about the process and how it works, from the ionization of air to the restricting orifice, depth of cut, width of the kerf, I think you'll discover why some cuts looks good and others look like a gopher chewed them. A big part of that is air pressure. A better machine builds in limits for that reason. You don't blame the machine you blame the handler for not knowing better or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby J View Post
      90 ps1 min to 120 psi max @ 3cfm is what is listed in your manual. What else do you need to know?

Comment

I think the question is will it function if air drops below 90 PSI (minimum spec per manual) like to maybe 70 PSI and will it fail to create plasma and have enough air pressure to blow plasma stream through metal...

Can't imaging even a small compressor not supplying enough air, some plasma units even have their own compressors built in....

Something like one below surely will work and not break the bank... Its probably a good size for small shop compressor that is not heavy on hi cfm air tools....

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...r?cm_vc=-10005

Did I mention I hate small buzz diaphragm compressors... Two cylinder cast Iron all the way...

Dale
        Last edited by Dale M.; 11-20-2019, 10:01 PM.
        "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Working...
        X