Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broccoli1
    replied
    a little late to the show but the second part of Kieth's comment may have got lost.

"The cutting arc will do this as a result of a poor ground clamp connection or weak input power."

These little guys need ALL the help they can get with input power. If the ground clamp connection doesnt fix the problem check the unit on known 20amp individual circuit.

Another thing to keep an eye on when experiencing poor performance is the consumables (Torch Tip, Electrode, And Shield Cup)

due to the fact that they have an onboard compressor and no real way to keep the air dry, they eat electrodes rather quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Josh7099
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobart Expert Keith View Post
    Glad to hear you got it going.
    Thanks again for your help Keith!

Leave a comment:

• Hobart Expert Keith
    replied
    Glad to hear you got it going.

Leave a comment:

• Josh7099
    replied
    Originally posted by Josh7099 View Post
    I am having the exact same problem with my plasma cutter. I have tried the things mentioned but I'm going to give it another shot. I did read on a couple of forums that mentioned it could be caused by getting moisture into the compressor from a very humid climate such as where I live.
    Update to my post - I found an extremely dirty ground clamp bolt/wire connection and once I cleaned it off and put everything back together it worked great.

Leave a comment:

• Josh7099
    replied
    I am having the exact same problem with my plasma cutter. I have tried the things mentioned but I'm going to give it another shot. I did read on a couple of forums that mentioned it could be caused by getting moisture into the compressor from a very humid climate such as where I live.

Leave a comment:

• Northweldor
    replied
    Originally posted by jjgonzo View Post
    i did call but it was too late, they close at 5 pm eastern and did not have a chance to call today. i used a grinder to clean the metal on both sides before i started and tried different outlets.
    And? Did you check Keith's advice by fully ensuring both ground and input power?

Leave a comment:

• jjgonzo
    replied
    i did call but it was too late, they close at 5 pm eastern and did not have a chance to call today. i used a grinder to clean the metal on both sides before i started and tried different outlets.

Leave a comment:

• Hobart Expert Keith
    replied
    The cutting arc will do this as a result of a poor ground clamp connection or weak input power. It is going through the pilot arc sequence then shutting off.

Leave a comment:

• oldguyfrom56
    replied
    I'm not sure why or how, but lots of good advice is being handed out tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Northweldor
    replied
    Originally posted by jjgonzo View Post
    i just bought a 12ci and tried using it today, i installed the guide on the gun and just about 4 seconds into the cut the spark goes out. i restart the spark and the same thing keeps happening. i could not cut a piece of 1/8 X 4" steel with one cut, i had to keep starting as the spark stopped. no trouble lights came on, the compressor was running, had a good clean ground and the ground clamp was about 4" from my cut. i also changed the consumables but no change. This unit is brand new out of the box.
    What was i doing wrong?
    You did not phone Hobart, after running through the trouble-shooting section of the manual.

Leave a comment:

• jjgonzo
    started a topic Airforce 12ci

Airforce 12ci

i just bought a 12ci and tried using it today, i installed the guide on the gun and just about 4 seconds into the cut the spark goes out. i restart the spark and the same thing keeps happening. i could not cut a piece of 1/8 X 4" steel with one cut, i had to keep starting as the spark stopped. no trouble lights came on, the compressor was running, had a good clean ground and the ground clamp was about 4" from my cut. i also changed the consumables but no change. This unit is brand new out of the box.
    What was i doing wrong?
Working...
X