Hobart 500i air pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart 500i air pressure

I am still pretty new at plasma cutting. I have a Hobart 500i. My manual does not specify optimal air pressures for cutting various steels. What pressure do you use for 1/4" mild steel? For 3/16" mild steel?

I have had mixed results. I run on 220V, and set the cutter all the way up.

What have you all used?

Originally posted by revkab View Post
    I am still pretty new at plasma cutting. I have a Hobart 500i. My manual does not specify optimal air pressures for cutting various steels. What pressure do you use for 1/4" mild steel? For 3/16" mild steel?

I have had mixed results. I run on 220V, and set the cutter all the way up.

What have you all used?
    Hobart, like most modern plasma cutters, has an internal regulator, and you just need to make sure that your air system is delivering a specified pressure and flow-rate to the air inlet, and the machine will monitor the pressure.
    Your manual specifies 90-120 PSI at 3CFM, and if you are maintaining this pressure and flow rate, your pressure light will not come on or blink. You do not need to adjust for thickness.
    For better results, try varying your cutting speed and amperage for different thicknesses, rather than setting "all the way up".
    Last edited by Northweldor; 09-19-2015, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Make sure you input air is clean and dry. I suggest a Motorguard cannister filter inline, befire the plasma cutter air inlet or at the very least a water seperator, particle filter as well. Plasma cutters (any brand) don't like contaminated air supplies. Most have internal seperators but it's prudent to supply clean, moisture free air at least at 90 psi with enough CFM to maintain that while cutting.
      So little time...So many machine tools.........
      www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
      Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
      Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
      Harris OA
      Too many motorcycles.............-
      sigpic

Comment

I installed a ball type pressure regulator on my cutter and keep it in the 80-90 pound range. Works great.

Comment

Hobart 500i air pressure

Has anyone discovered an easy way to measure rear tire air pressure? Dont have 90 degree valve. Please share. Thanks.
          Pulse aqui si quiere encontrar mas informacion sobre por que ocurre sobrepeso infantil. Tambien hay mas articulos sobre impotencia alli.

Comment

Didn't know the 500i had rear tires or fronts for that matter!!!!!..... Are you asking rear inlet pressure?...

Dale
            Last edited by Dale M.; 04-21-2016, 10:06 AM.
            "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

MaggotXL is a bogus poster. In his user profile both the Occupation and Location list a country name. This has been a characteristic of these scammers. A few lines of Ruby code on the hosting back office would easily and automatically filter the jerks out.
              CanoeCruiser
              Harris dual-stage O/A
              Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
              Hobart IronMan 210
              Lincoln PowerMig 135
              Miller 3035 spoolgun
              Thermal Arc 185
              Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
              Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
              Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

Yeah.... Kind of figured that.... Seemed to much like the "test" posting to see if he can actually post a message before posting a ton of SPAM....

Dale
                "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Working...
                X