Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to buy an inexpensive Plasma cutter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy an inexpensive Plasma cutter.

My father is looking to buy an inexpensive plasma cutter, capable of cutting through a cast iron manifold on his f150 ford truck as we have to replace it...what kind of plasma cutter can perform this? not just restricted to HObart...can the LT5000D Lotos LT5000D 50A Air Inverter Plasma Cutter Dual Voltage 110/220VAC 1/2" clean Cut accomplish this? he wants to buy the one from harbor freight, but i'm worried it may be junk.

Originally posted by joseph8962 View Post
    My father is looking to buy an inexpensive plasma cutter, capable of cutting through a cast iron manifold on his f150 ford truck as we have to replace it...what kind of plasma cutter can perform this? not just restricted to HObart...can the LT5000D Lotos LT5000D 50A Air Inverter Plasma Cutter Dual Voltage 110/220VAC 1/2" clean Cut accomplish this? he wants to buy the one from harbor freight, but i'm worried it may be junk.
    I may be wrong but I don't think you can cut cast iron with a plasma cutter. I have owned several and never tried to cut CI.
    Once in a while on Craigslist you will find a nice used Hypertherm and you want one that will do 3/8 and needs and external air supply. The ones with a built in compressor are meant for people doing sheet metal 24 gauge or so.

I had an Eastwood and did not like, had a Hypertherm 380 and in a fit of stupid... sold it. Now have a Longevity 40D and it works fine. The Harbor Freight is very usable but overpriced. Otherwise I would stay away from the Chinese ones.
    Retired...
    Master Electrician
    Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
    Semi-pro/Hobby Welder
    Hobart Handler 140
    MakerGear M2 3D Printer

Comment

Plasma will cut cast iron.
      --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
      -------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by joseph8962 View Post
        First, the good news is that the above plasma cutter from Harbor Freight will probably do the job.

The bad news is that with most of these Chinese welding and cutting products, you essentially have no real warranty or support service from the manufacturer, and must depend on return and replacement. This may be worth a bet if you live next door to the source, but shipping costs can soon eat up your savings if you don't. (Lotos has ONE replacement/ repair facility in the entire US, compared to hundreds for HyperTherm, Lincoln, Miller/Hobart, Esab, etc. Also, these products, due to short-cuts in manufacturing, cheaper parts, lack of testing, and low-cost design, have a 20% out-of-the-box failure rate, compares to 1 or 2% for most of the major companies, even if their product is Chinese-manufactured. You get what you pay for.

Here is Lotos return policy, which even makes you purchase their return-shipping AND insurance before you can send it back! Definitely protects them, not you! I would spend a few hundred more to get a Hobart 700I.

LOTOS Return Form
        Policy: Warranty only covers the machine’s electronic parts, which does not include any of its mechanical
        parts, torches, consumables, and or regulators.
        Warranty only covers the labor and parts fee, customer shall pay
        two-way shipping fees. Warranty is not transferrable. Refund is only available for DOA
        (dead on arrival) items returned within 30 days from the original date of purchase. DOA must be clai
        med within 5 days after machine is received. A 20% stocking fee will be charged for any item used and returned within 30 days. Original shipping fees are non-refundable. This return policy only applies to U.S. customers. For international customers, please contact us for more details.In some cases, the machines might be swapped with a similar refurbished machine model, and the front panel may be slightly different.

If the machine is out of warranty, please purchase our repair service at
        www.uwelding.com
        /
        category
        -
        s/1844.htm
        This warranty will only be applicable to damaged machines with genuine LOTOS consumables. If you have used a consumable(s) not belonging to LOTOS, which caused your machine to break, the warranty would be non-applicable. You would either have to pay for our services or the machine will be returned to
        you without having been fixed.
        Please fill out the following form accurately in legible writing. Warranty will be voided upon any falsified information.
        Step 1:
        Please include the completed form and a copy of the original receipt in an envelopeon the outside of your
        returned package, attached to the upper right corner of the outer box packaging, and Ship item(s) to:

Lotos Return
        1155 Tasman Dr.
        Sunnyvale CA, 94089
        Note:
        Box will be rejected if this form and a copy of the receipt are not in an envelope attached to the outer box
        packaging.
        Step 2:
        Please purchase the return shipping/handling/insurance fee for the warranty service fee at:
        .uwelding.com
        /
        category
        -
        s/1844.htm
        Customer Name:
        __________________________________________________ _______________
        Product/Model#:
        __________________________________________________ _______________
        Shipp
        ing Address:
        ( )
        (USD) i.e Paypal/Credit:
        Date of Purchase:
        WITH THE MACHINE
        Is this a return for a replacement, repair or refund?
        Repair Replacement Refund
        What is included in the packaging? (note: if you installed your own plug, please remove the plug bef
        ore shipping
        back.)
        __________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
        The main reason for product failure
        :
        __________________________________________________ __________________
        __________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
        I certify that all above information is accurate and will follow Lotos return/warranty policy
        Signature:________________________________________ __ Date: ________________________________

Comment

Harbor Freight has been selling plasma cutters for years. The two older ones are regarded as being pretty good and are pretty much the same (60767/95136). The latest revision with the air gauge on the front is too new to have much of a track record. Some stores may have the previous version.

See this post for more info: http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...vice-Schematic

The fellow who started this thread (George aka Mechanic416) services the HF units and sells consumables for them on e-bay. http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ter&highlight=
          --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
          -------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by usmcpop View Post
            Harbor Freight has been selling plasma cutters for years. The two older ones are regarded as being pretty good and are pretty much the same (60767/95136). The latest revision with the air gauge on the front is too new to have much of a track record. Some stores may have the previous version.

See this post for more info: http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...vice-Schematic

The fellow who started this thread (George aka Mechanic416) services the HF units and sells consumables for them on e-bay. http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ter&highlight=
            However, this Chicago Electric discussed sells for $649 at HF, whereas the Lotos mentioned by the OP is as low as $300 on ebay, with more amperage and MVP! However, look at this chart from the manual, and it appears that the current adjusting control must be at maximum all the time!
            The mystery of all those factories at Guanzhou makes sure that you never know what's under the hood, until you void the warranty by looking!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Northweldor; 04-12-2015, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I own one of the older blue HF plasma cutters and have been using it for about 3-4 years. I actually bought mine off Craigslist, NIB and never even removed from the box for $200. I buy my consumables from China off of eBay and it's been a real workhorse. If it ever has an issue I plan to send it to the guy on Weldingweb (George) for repair.

My local HF store is still selling the older blue blue cased plasma cutter and TIG welder.

Comment

Working...
              X