Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutmaster 42 CNC conversion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by jimcolt View Post
    OK....You sure it was me? We have step flow nozzles in a number of our air consumables. It is used to stabilize the arc when exiting the orifice. It is not used or necessary at all power levels, but especially is with smaller orifices and low power.

    Jim Colt Hypertherm

    Yes it was, because not too many people would have the answers for the questions I would ask.. I took my Esab PT nozzles down to my friends place to compare to his Hypertherm 85 consumables, and asked you a question about both of them.. I could not see the step in the Hypertherm, and the reason I asked about them.. Esab has the step in all amp ranges in the PT-37-38-39 (20-100 amps) torches.. By the way, I am disappointed Esab chose to go with the one torches instead of the PT series.. I think it's a stop gap measure for now. Makes sense for some reasons..but not in overall cutting performance..Just have to see how it all shakes out with Colfax. I can get good performance from my one torches, by playing very close attention to detail, and setup..Can't just go to a book, and get great results like with the newer Esab, and Hypertherm designs..

    Comment


    • #47
      Well....you may want to take a look at the nozzles again for the Powermax85. The Finecut nozzle has a large step, the 45 and 65 's have a small step.....you can see it with a 10X magnifier (have one here on my desk)....I don't have an 85 amp handy...so not sure , but I suspect it has a step as well in the nozzle bore.

      I am surprised they (Colfax) chose the One Torch as well. I'm sure it is a profitability or inventory decision though....

      Jim Colt



      Originally posted by Scott V View Post
      Yes it was, because not too many people would have the answers for the questions I would ask.. I took my Esab PT nozzles down to my friends place to compare to his Hypertherm 85 consumables, and asked you a question about both of them.. I could not see the step in the Hypertherm, and the reason I asked about them.. Esab has the step in all amp ranges in the PT-37-38-39 (20-100 amps) torches.. By the way, I am disappointed Esab chose to go with the one torches instead of the PT series.. I think it's a stop gap measure for now. Makes sense for some reasons..but not in overall cutting performance..Just have to see how it all shakes out with Colfax. I can get good performance from my one torches, by playing very close attention to detail, and setup..Can't just go to a book, and get great results like with the newer Esab, and Hypertherm designs..

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by jimcolt View Post
        ... I am surprised they (Colfax) chose the One Torch as well. I'm sure it is a profitability or inventory decision though...
        Maybe the Rales brothers just needed a new vacation house or fuel for private jets.
        --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

        Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
        -------------------------

        Comment


        • #49
          I think you will see movement,heading back to NH is making a statement about commitment to moving the bar..

          The one torch has a huge market share in air plasma, and they sell a whole lot of consumables.. I would like to see them at tweak the consumables a bit.(short term) Bring in some of those Esab guys to help.. For me the one torch works well, but it's flat out going to have a narrower range of where it works well.. (sweet spot if you will) Compared to newer designed torches/consumables/etc.. you can still do a lot of good things with it, if you set it up just right...

          Comment


          • #50
            In reality.....we really like the One Torch. I hope they keep it as is!

            Jim Colt Hypertherm


            Originally posted by Scott V View Post
            I think you will see movement,heading back to NH is making a statement about commitment to moving the bar..

            The one torch has a huge market share in air plasma, and they sell a whole lot of consumables.. I would like to see them at tweak the consumables a bit.(short term) Bring in some of those Esab guys to help.. For me the one torch works well, but it's flat out going to have a narrower range of where it works well.. (sweet spot if you will) Compared to newer designed torches/consumables/etc.. you can still do a lot of good things with it, if you set it up just right...

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by jimcolt View Post
              In reality.....we really like the One Torch. I hope they keep it as is!

              Jim Colt Hypertherm
              I one torch has it's issues, and it mostly is in correctly setting up correctly.. Many times the edge angularity issues are totally operator error. There is not much printed from Thermal dynamics that will lead you to a fix.. A stable THC is critical and so is maintaining the very long cutting height of that system.. Took me about 13 years off, and on to get it to perform at a very high level. You have to also use the correct amp nozzle for the thickness cut. Again, a narrower cutting window, then some later designs.. I never have one issue from a start cartridge, because I always clean the tip of it when I replace the tip. (Thermal calls it a tip, so I use the term for them) I have a good respect for the torch, and not something I always had.. I think the latest machines have helped them too..It always fires,cuts decent, and the cheapest factory consumables around from Ebay..I get good life out of them, and much better then I first started using them. By a wide margin too. I use lower amp tips (many amp ranges available) to slow may table down to a reasonable speed. That helps keep cut quality high, by not stressing things too much..

              So yes it's outdated,and old, but dang it works nice for me.. So we both like it for different reasons..

              Comment

              Working...
              X