Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting/gouging welds in thick steel plate

Hi guys!

I have some thick steel plate that has been welded(t-joints). I was thinking of cutting the weld out and using the metal to build something else. Most of the plate is 1/2" thick. Would a plasma cutter offer decent results? I thought about going at the welds with an angle grinder but that would be pretty time consuming! I do not currently own a plasma cutter but have wanted one for a while. This may be a good reason to get one!

Thanks,

Steve

A plasma cutter that has gouging nozzles would work well for this application. Using a cutting nozzle likely would not work well. The Hypertherm 45 amp and larger systems all have excellent gouging capability.

Jim Colt

Originally posted by Steve1795 View Post
    Hi guys!

I have some thick steel plate that has been welded(t-joints). I was thinking of cutting the weld out and using the metal to build something else. Most of the plate is 1/2" thick. Would a plasma cutter offer decent results? I thought about going at the welds with an angle grinder but that would be pretty time consuming! I do not currently own a plasma cutter but have wanted one for a while. This may be a good reason to get one!

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

The Hypertherm 45 is a little more than I wanted to spend. Do you think a slightly less powerful machine would have the ability to gouge without being underpowered? The hobart airforce 500, miller xtreme 375, and the hypertherm powermax 30 were the ones I was looking at. I dont want to get one if it wont be able to cut these welds. I would like a larger machine but I can't really justify the expense right now.

Thanks!

Steve

Comment

If you have a CC power source of sufficient nads along with a decent air compressor you could carbon gouge it. Pick up the torch for cheap.

Be clear on the safety procedures before doing it so you don't burn down the neighborhood.. as the process does make some impressive fireworks.
        Mike

sigpic WHEELED VEHICLE SERVICE SINCE 1960

Comment

Originally posted by old blue View Post
          If you have a CC power source of sufficient nads along with a decent air compressor you could carbon gouge it. Pick up the torch for cheap.

Be clear on the safety procedures before doing it so you don't burn down the neighborhood.. as the process does make some impressive fireworks.
          I second the carbon arc, great way to blow that weld off.
          Miller dynasty 350
          Miller syncrowave 250
          Miller deltaweld 450
          Miller cp-300
          And one fancy microwelding setup

Comment

I have a good air compressor but no cc power source.

Thanks for all the good feedback!

Comment

Just go rent a plasma cutter from an equipment rental place for a day and be done with it. Rent a Hypertherm 45 or 65 with the gouging nozzle/tips and all is well. Why buy. You probably can't afford the price of admission and don't want to.

Black Swamp Rentals (Nationwide) rents Hypertherm by the day or longer. My buddy rented one to cut up an aluminum bulk tanker to scrap.

There are alternatives to buying.

carbon arc gouging works but is very dirty and slow.
              So little time...So many machine tools.........
              www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
              Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
              Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
              Harris OA
              Too many motorcycles.............-
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I bought a Hypertherm 45 this morning. I guess I was able to 'afford the price of admission' !

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SidecarFlip View Post
                  Just go rent a plasma cutter from an equipment rental place for a day and be done with it. Rent a Hypertherm 45 or 65 with the gouging nozzle/tips and all is well. Why buy. You probably can't afford the price of admission and don't want to.

Black Swamp Rentals (Nationwide) rents Hypertherm by the day or longer. My buddy rented one to cut up an aluminum bulk tanker to scrap.

There are alternatives to buying.

carbon arc gouging works but is very dirty and slow.
                  Carbon arc gouging is dirty, loud, but NOT SLOW! It actually has a higher metal removal rate than plasma.

Hypertherm has some of the best quality and affordable equipment available. Your "buddy" made rental pay on a oneshot job, but has no plasma cutter, and wasted the rental money on a job that probably would have paid for the plasma cutter, and still made a profit. The OP, wisely, did not take your advice.
                  Last edited by Northweldor; 08-02-2013, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post
                    Carbon arc gouging is dirty, loud, but NOT SLOW! It actually has a higher metal removal rate than plasma.

Hypertherm has some of the best quality and affordable equipment available. Your "buddy" made rental pay on a oneshot job, but has no plasma cutter, and wasted the rental money on a job that probably would have paid for the plasma cutter, and still made a profit. The OP, wisely, did not take your advice.
                    He's not stupid... He borrows mine now. (I have a Hypertherm 65).

For one job, rent to try and then buy.
                    So little time...So many machine tools.........
                    www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
                    Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
                    Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
                    Harris OA
                    Too many motorcycles.............-
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X