Hobart 400 circut board went south

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart 400 circut board went south

my faithful hobart 400 plasma cutter went south last month, took it to have it looked at, said approximately $900 to replace the circut board and install, I've had it since 2005 and used it nearly every day or two, sometimes all day long, I'm looking at the Miller 375 for a replacment, anybody had any problems with thier miller, the guy I had check out the Hobart, said that this was the longest he'd ever seen one last.
    anybody heard any thing like that before.

thanks.

I bought mine around that time as well but I sold it about 8 months ago and bought a HT 65. I have to say the HT is a sweet unit. Not cheap, sweet.
    So little time...So many machine tools.........
    www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
    Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
    Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
    Harris OA
    Too many motorcycles.............-
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ozark tracker View Post
      my faithful hobart 400 plasma cutter went south last month, took it to have it looked at, said approximately $900 to replace the circut board and install, I've had it since 2005 and used it nearly every day or two, sometimes all day long, I'm looking at the Miller 375 for a replacment, anybody had any problems with thier miller, the guy I had check out the Hobart, said that this was the longest he'd ever seen one last.
      anybody heard any thing like that before.

thanks.
      That statement from the repair depot sounds fishy. Did he mean practically all of them made in 2005 have blown up by now? If so it's a really lousy product. I'm thinking not, if it was introduced in 2005 then he has never seen one older than that in the shop. Maybe 95% of that age are still functional.

The pricing for replacement circuit boards is a racket IMO. A decent repair depot could refurb a board and do a swap for a lot less; other electronics industries do it without pricing it sooo close to a new unit to make you want to scrap what you have and pop for a new item. Motorola once repaired high-end pagers for $20 plus parts. I absolutely guarantee you there aren't $900 of blown up electronic parts in a failed unit that retails new for a bit more than that, unless it took a direct lightning strike.
      CanoeCruiser
      Harris dual-stage O/A
      Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
      Hobart IronMan 210
      Lincoln PowerMig 135
      Miller 3035 spoolgun
      Thermal Arc 185
      Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
      Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
      Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

that's what I thought about the circut board too, looking at it, I don't see any burned equipment, just nothing coming out on that side of the board. talked to the insurance company today, gonna see if they'll help any.

Comment

Originally posted by SidecarFlip View Post
          I bought mine around that time as well but I sold it about 8 months ago and bought a HT 65. I have to say the HT is a sweet unit. Not cheap, sweet.
          I grabbed a Hypertherm brochure from the LWS a few years back. They described their manufacturing processes and it was almost like reading a manufacturing test plan for military-reliability equipment. The acronyms for what they do are the same and it would be a treat to tour their plant and talk with a few of the engineers.

Originally posted by Ozark tracker View Post
          that's what I thought about the circut board too, looking at it, I don't see any burned equipment, just nothing coming out on that side of the board. talked to the insurance company today, gonna see if they'll help any.
          If the components on a printed circuit card are accessible, i.e., not potted in a heavy tar-like compound, AND the semiconductors (integrated circuits and transistors) are identifiable, it wouldn't be hard for a competent electronics technician with some basic test equipment and rework gear to repair a busted card. It helps to have schematics, parts-placement diagrams and a parts-list but it can be done without them in many, even most cases. In my experience, if it isn't a connector not making connection (they do oxidize) or a bad solder joint....solder does age and develop intergranular defects with hot/cold cycling if it isn't done right, then the failure chain often starts with an electrolytic capacitor. They are liquid or at least wet inside and they dry out by the electrolyte leaching through the lead terminations and the crimp at the ends of the can. If you're unlucky, that creates a cascade effect that takes out some of the semis, burns resistors and so forth. Heat really accelerates that and I prefer fans that move lots of air.

If there are unmarked transistors and/or IC's, or proprietary custom-programmed chips, you're pretty much SOL.
          CanoeCruiser
          Harris dual-stage O/A
          Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
          Hobart IronMan 210
          Lincoln PowerMig 135
          Miller 3035 spoolgun
          Thermal Arc 185
          Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
          Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
          Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

I grabbed a Hypertherm brochure from the LWS a few years back. They described their manufacturing processes and it was almost like reading a manufacturing test plan for military-reliability equipment. The acronyms for what they do are the same and it would be a treat to tour their plant and talk with a few of the engineers......

We have one on here btw. Jim Colt is just that at HT. Jim does HT's webinars among other things and he's real accessable.

My 65 is a very well engineered machine. It certainly wasn't cheap but then quality machinery never is. You get what you pay for in my thinking....
            So little time...So many machine tools.........
            www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
            Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
            Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
            Harris OA
            Too many motorcycles.............-
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X