X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cheezit
    • Mar 2011

help me spend my tax return

here is what I need a new air compressor, a new plasma cutter.
    heres my issue. im tring to say with a 30 gallon tank size compressor. space is an issue.
    I need to run a plasma that will cut max 1/2" a36 ( most of what I do is under 1/4" so 1/2" is oversized). any advise on what to look at on the plasma.
    the compressor has to be big enugh to run a small sandblaster as well.
    I would also perfer 115v compressor if at all possible but its looking like that wont happen unless someone can point me in that direction.

thank you
  • Blacksmith
    • May 2003

A decent 50 gallon compressor should be able to supply a Hypertherm Powermax 30. Add a decent water separator like the Motorgard M26. That is my plan someday.
    Blacksmith
    Stickmate LX AC/DC
    Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
    Hand cranked coal forge
    Freon bottle propane forge
    HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

• cheezit
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
      A decent 50 gallon compressor should be able to supply a Hypertherm Powermax 30. Add a decent water separator like the Motorgard M26. That is my plan someday.
      Ive got a big water trap now that I bought a few years back when I started playing with an air brush. so thats a reusable part.

Comment

• Wyoming
        • Aug 2003

An air compressor is one of those tools it pays to buy big on. Will an upright tank let you meet your space limitations? Even is it meant waiting on the plasma cutter, I would recommend that you purchase an air compressor that will meet your needs now and into the future. With a 30 gallon compressor tank you are going to have to work hard at maintaining dry air to a plasma cutter...especially down in the D/FW area...thank LBJ and Sam Rayburn for all those lakes!
        Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

• BD1
          • Jan 2007

Like Wyoming said,don't skip on size. What's the space issue ? Location ? could it go above rafters ? Build separate room for compressor ? heres something from another site.

here's info on quincy with dimensions
          Buy the Quincy 2V41C60VC. In-stock at Power Equipment Direct. Also, read the latest reviews for the Quincy QT-54 Pro 5-HP 60-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor (230V 1-Phase)

best plasma http://www.hypertherm.com/

another site for more info http://weldingweb.com/index.php

Comment

• Northweldor
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
            Like Wyoming said,don't skip on size. What's the space issue ? Location ? could it go above rafters ? Build separate room for compressor ? heres something from another site.

here's info on quincy with dimensions
            Buy the Quincy 2V41C60VC. In-stock at Power Equipment Direct. Also, read the latest reviews for the Quincy QT-54 Pro 5-HP 60-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor (230V 1-Phase)

best plasma http://www.hypertherm.com/

another site for more info http://weldingweb.com/index.php
            There are hundreds of threads on this topic on THIS list!

Comment

• cheezit
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post
              There are hundreds of threads on this topic on THIS list!

http://www.hobartwelders.com/search/...plasma&x=7&y=8
              thanks for your vast insite.
              First off. perhaps someone eith has a) something for sale local. b) know of a "tax sale" somewere either on-line or from a large retailer.

second off perhaps someone knows of a smaller compressor that may work like whats wrong with this one. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1743_200481743
              any reason it wont work. the biggiest 115v I can find. if this works does anyone know of a cheeper unit.

so far as relocating the compressor in a differnt spot etc,etc noe of that works in this set up.

Comment

• Northweldor
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by cheezit View Post
                First off. perhaps someone eith has a) something for sale local. b) know of a "tax sale" somewere either on-line or from a large retailer.

second off perhaps someone knows of a smaller compressor that may work like whats wrong with this one. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1743_200481743
                any reason it wont work. the biggiest 115v I can find. if this works does anyone know of a cheeper unit.

so far as relocating the compressor in a differnt spot etc,etc noe of that works in this set up.

Sorry you are so VERY SENSITIVE, since this was not even directed at you! I was responding to the person I quoted, BD1, who was directing you off-site, when there is much excellent information here.

Comment

• BD1
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post
                  Sorry you are so VERY SENSITIVE, since this was not even directed at you! I was responding to the person I quoted, BD1, who was directing you off-site, when there is much excellent information here.
                  Hi, what's the problem going elsewhere from this site ??? Knowledge and information is what we look for. Who cares if its from here or somewhere else. There maybe information on other sites that one maybe looking for.Not to mention you or him may not be aware of other sites. If it offends you, sorry, just don't read it. Did you go there??? YES YOU DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• cheezit
                    • Mar 2011

so far its still between cutmaster 42 and td 65.
                    my issue is still needing a 115v compressor, do to both space and places that I do side work dont tend to have 230v plugs
                    so far as extra air storage thats not a big issue, I can over come that.
                    If I really need the big cfm I can load up the cutter and metal and take it to work with me.

Comment

• morgaj1
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by cheezit View Post

That Quincy is a great unit. If my old Craftsman compressor ever dies, this is the one that I will buy. It has plenty enough oomph to power my Hypertherm 45.
                      Lincoln PowerMig 255
                      Hypertherm Powermax 45
                      Thermal Arc 161S
                      Still Looking for an old Round Top Idealarc 250

Comment

• cheezit
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by morgaj1 View Post
                        That Quincy is a great unit. If my old Craftsman compressor ever dies, this is the one that I will buy. It has plenty enough oomph to power my Hypertherm 45.
                        thank you for the input. this helps.

Comment

Working...
                        X