Plazma cutter problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plazma cutter problem

I have a Northern Industrial plazma cutter ( Northern Tool ) that has barely been used. It was working great and when I went to use it one day , it just acts like it doesn't have hardly any electrical power . With the work metal grounded and touching the tip with the trigger pulled, it barely sparks and won't cut at all. Any suggestions on what to check or what could be wrong , would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, BJ

If the metal is rusted or painted or cruded up, you will need to clean the location of the ground clamp shinny and the area of the start of the cut so it can get a good electrical start. Those off brand imports some times have a bigger problem then the name brand ones have trying to start through a number of paint layers,dirt and heavy rust. I now clean all the ground clamp areas and starting areas and longer have a problem I have a hyper-threm 600.
    glen, been there, done that and probably broke it!If you aren't on the edge. You'r taking up to much room

Comment

Originally posted by ptsideshow View Post
      If the metal is rusted or painted or cruded up, you will need to clean the location of the ground clamp shinny and the area of the start of the cut so it can get a good electrical start. Those off brand imports some times have a bigger problem then the name brand ones have trying to start through a number of paint layers,dirt and heavy rust. I now clean all the ground clamp areas and starting areas and longer have a problem I have a hyper-threm 600.
      I work with all new metal and it has a good ground , but it just don't seem like it is getting full power. All of my other welders are working fine, so it is not a power source problem. I need to know what areas I should look at inside the machine that would cause a lack of current at the tip of the gun. The only sign of power that I see when I hold the trigger and ground the tip , looks like it is about as much current as an almost dead car battery , hardly a flicker.

Comment

Try taking your torch apart and make sure your electrode can move freely. If mine gets "stuck" forward I get just a little spark. Sometimes I have to work the electrode up and down a few times inside the swirl ring to get it so it moves and doesn't just get jammed up in the tip. I've got a small Hypertherm. Once I get that freed up, I've got full power again. Happens a lot when I first put new components in the torch.

Comment

Check your air flow. pressure.
          "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Originally posted by Hotfoot View Post
            Check your air flow. pressure.
            Air flow pressure on the gage is good and I can hear the air flow everytime I pull the trigger, just no electrical power.

Comment

Originally posted by caldwellcpl View Post
              Try taking your torch apart and make sure your electrode can move freely. If mine gets "stuck" forward I get just a little spark. Sometimes I have to work the electrode up and down a few times inside the swirl ring to get it so it moves and doesn't just get jammed up in the tip. I've got a small Hypertherm. Once I get that freed up, I've got full power again. Happens a lot when I first put new components in the torch.
              I will take a closer look tomorrow. Thanks

Comment

Have you tried new consumables in the unit?
                Lincoln Idealarc 250
                Miller Bobcat 250
                Thermal arc Hefty 2 feeder
                Thermal Dynamics Cusmaster 52
                Torchmate CNC Table

Comment

Plasma Cutter Problem

Just an update to this problem . I talked to someone that repairs plasma cutters and he said to check the tip in the gun to see if you could push it in about a quarter inch. When I said it wouldn't move , he said the gun was defective because you should be able to push the tip in on the spring for about a quarter inch. He sent me a new gun and it works perfect now. Hope this can help someone else.

Comment

Working...
                  X