Hypertherm Powermax XX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypertherm Powermax XX

I'm looking to FINALLY buy a plasma unit, I am specifically looking to buy a Hypertherm Powermax 65 unit. Where is the lowest cost place to buy this from?

Also would it be ready to be used for CNC application or do I have to buy a specific model of the Hypertherm Powermax 65?
    Conrad Andres
    Thermal Arc 185TSW
    Lincoln SP135T

WeldingWeb has a Hypertherm Subforum

http://weldingweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57 .

Jim Colt of Hypertherm post answers and recommendations there regularly. He would be your best resource to answer your questions.

Thurmond
    Miller Bobcat 3 Phase,
    26 series gas cooled TIG torch, setup for quick connect to Bobcat.
    Miller Suitcase X-Treme 12VS
    SuperCut 50P plasma cutter returned after issues for EVERLAST PowerUltra 205P
    Hobart Handler 187 Mig / Flux Core
    Standard Oxygen / Acetylene Cutting, Welding setup.

Comment

I'm not sure if the Pmx 65 comes stock with the interface for CNC or if it has to be ordered with it.As far as the torch goes I believe it depends on the brand of table.The Plasmacam tables used to use the hand torch for example.

Comment

There are a variety of different configurations of the Powermax65 and 85. The lowest cost versions that come with a hand torch do not have the rear panel CPC connector for cnc machine connections...although it can be purchased in kit form and added at any time. You can look up the part numbers on the Hypertherm web site....or you can ask your local Hypeertherm distributor (which is the bestplace to buy...often they will get close to the listed internet pricing...but will local service and support) for the correct system part number for your needs.

Jim Colt (and I love my Hobart HH210!)

Originally posted by Conrad_Turbo View Post
        I'm looking to FINALLY buy a plasma unit, I am specifically looking to buy a Hypertherm Powermax 65 unit. Where is the lowest cost place to buy this from?

Also would it be ready to be used for CNC application or do I have to buy a specific model of the Hypertherm Powermax 65?

Comment

Originally posted by jimcolt View Post
          There are a variety of different configurations of the Powermax65 and 85. The lowest cost versions that come with a hand torch do not have the rear panel CPC connector for cnc machine connections...although it can be purchased in kit form and added at any time. You can look up the part numbers on the Hypertherm web site....or you can ask your local Hypeertherm distributor (which is the bestplace to buy...often they will get close to the listed internet pricing...but will local service and support) for the correct system part number for your needs.

Jim Colt (and I love my Hobart HH210!)
          Jim, I have read a ton of your posts about the Powermax units along with tons of other reviews and photos of cuts...it's a very nice machine. I am talking to my local dealer about working out pricing right now.

So looking at Hypertherm's website I'm not exactly sure what I am looking for in regards to CNC capable or the CPC upgrade info. I am looking at three options right now:

1. Hypertherm Powermax 65 - 200-600v, standard power supply and 25' H65 torch - PN: 083270

2. Option #1 + CPC rear panel kit (PN? 083266 or 083267?)

3. Hypertherm Powermax 65 - 200-600v, power supply with CPC port and selectable voltage ratio and 25' H65 torch - (PN?, is it 083275 or 083277?)
          Conrad Andres
          Thermal Arc 185TSW
          Lincoln SP135T

Comment

FYI.....the CPC (cnc interface option) will not work with the hand torch plugged into the unit. This is designed for safety so that a remote on/off input will not fire a hand torch unexpectedly.

Jim Colt

Jim, I have read a ton of your posts about the Powermax units along with tons of other reviews and photos of cuts...it's a very nice machine. I am talking to my local dealer about working out pricing right now.

So looking at Hypertherm's website I'm not exactly sure what I am looking for in regards to CNC capable or the CPC upgrade info. I am looking at three options right now:

1. Hypertherm Powermax 65 - 200-600v, standard power supply and 25' H65 torch - PN: 083270

2. Option #1 + CPC rear panel kit (PN? 083266 or 083267?)

3. Hypertherm Powermax 65 - 200-600v, power supply with CPC port and selectable voltage ratio and 25' H65 torch - (PN?, is it 083275 or 083277?)

Comment

Jim, so how would it work if I had the hand torch mounted to the table, but removable with a quick disconnect if I had to cut pieces by hand? Thanks for the quick response!
              Conrad Andres
              Thermal Arc 185TSW
              Lincoln SP135T

Comment

There are hundreds...maybe thousands of shops using hand torches on CNC machines. You would have to splice into the torch trigger wiring in order to interface the plasma start signal to the cnc start output....as the start function on the CPC interface plug is disabled....again, for safety reasons.

Here is why: A shop....quite a few years ago...had a Hypertherm air plasma system with both a hand torch and a machine torch. The machine torch was mounted on a small track burner...and was fired with a remote switch pendant that was wired into the plasma system. To use the track burner..you plugged the torch into the power supply and pushed the start button to fire the torch. To use the hand torch...the operator unplugged the machine torch and plugged in the hand torch....firing the torch with the handle mounted trigger switch.

One day...the operator came in to work.....assumed that the machine torch was plugged into the plasma power supply (it wasn't.....the hand torch was plugged in).....so he picked up the remote switch pendant, pushed the start button to fire the machine torch....but the hand torch (which had been neatly wrapped around an acetylene bottle on the oxy-acetylene torch set) fired, immediately puncturing a hole in the high pressure acetylene tank....the resulting fire burned the building down.....fortunately there were no serious injuries. The new building cost Hypertherm a lot of money.

This is why the safety interlock is in place on all Hypertherm systems....and why we cannot suggest how to connect a hand plasma torch (which has its own trigger switch) to a remote starting mechanism.

The answer...yes, you can use a hand torch on a cnc machine, many do.....however, be careful, and as a Hypertherm employee I can not give you advice on how to make the wiring connections to do so!

Best regards, Jim

Jim, so how would it work if I had the hand torch mounted to the table, but removable with a quick disconnect if I had to cut pieces by hand? Thanks for the quick response!

Comment

It is a shame that if the cutter had the CPC port installed that the connection lead for a hand torch would be different than a machine torch. That way a machine torch connected to the cutter would turn on via the CPC port, but if a handheld cutter was then it would need to have the trigger depressed to have it turn on, regardless of what was going on with the CPC port. Esentially use the trigger switch as an "AND" configuration, so if it was to be used on a CNC setup the trigger switch would have to be depressed to have a computer tell it to fire. But also allowing an operator to turn it on with the trigger switch without a PC. Thank you for the background with that story!

So in my case if I am going to use it as a hand torch for now and eventually connect it up to a CNC table, you recommend me going with 08275 (Powermax 65 w 25' lead with CPC port)? That way I don't have to add the CPC port down the road when I get the table.
                  Conrad Andres
                  Thermal Arc 185TSW
                  Lincoln SP135T

Comment

It is less costly to buy the unit with the CPC factory installed.

Jim

Comment

Jim, thanks for all the info. My local Praxair reps brought a brand new Powermax 45 (they don't have the 65 in stock) unit into my shop for me to play with last night. Needless to say I am more than impressed but I am buying the 65 so I can run it with the same power but with a better duty cycle. For never using a plasma cutter I could easily go through 3/4" steel and tap off the dross no problem and cutting 11ga steel to have an edge that seriously looked like it was lasercut. I am truly impressed with the Hypertherm machines!

I am ordering the HYP083275 today!
                      Conrad Andres
                      Thermal Arc 185TSW
                      Lincoln SP135T

Comment

Jim, thanks for all the info, just got my new machine!

Now to shoehorn it into the welding cart and get it ready to go.
                        Conrad Andres
                        Thermal Arc 185TSW
                        Lincoln SP135T

Comment

No , all you need is a hyertherm powermax 45 and the rigth air compressor. I have a powermax 45 and a air compressor made by husky 33 gal 150max psi -6.0 [email protected] -5.0 scfm @90psi. I thank this will work?

Comment

Originally posted by yale1125 View Post
                            No , all you need is a hyertherm powermax 45 and the rigth air compressor. I have a powermax 45 and a air compressor made by husky 33 gal 150max psi -6.0 [email protected] -5.0 scfm @90psi. I thank this will work?
                            If you read post 12, you will see he already has a PM 65.

Kemppi Pro Evolution 4200
                            Kemppi 530 wire feed with MXE panel
                            Cigweld TransTig 200 AC/DC
                            Hypertherm PowerMax45
                            CutSkill O/A setup
                            Speedglas 9000x adflow
                            Speedglas 9100xx
                            2 Labs

All at home!

Comment

Originally posted by yale1125 View Post
                              Yep I already have the PM65 and have it on my 4'x4' TM plasma table. Using the bigger machine allows me to run 45A at 100% duty cycle and allows me to pierce/cut thicker material when I need to.

Last edited by Conrad_Turbo; 02-16-2012, 01:39 PM.
                              Conrad Andres
                              Thermal Arc 185TSW
                              Lincoln SP135T

Comment

Working...
                              X