Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know you guys love these threads, but..Hypertherm 45 or Cutmaster 52?? Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know you guys love these threads, but..Hypertherm 45 or Cutmaster 52?? Why?

My trusty Powermax 380 needs to be replaced with something that I can use better on a CNC table and I am very torn between the Hypertherm 45 and the TD Cutmaster 52. Due to the great feedback from users here and other places I thought I was set on the 52 until I spoke to a Hypertherm rep and I realized I have had great results with my Hypertherm 380 and I can find parts all over the place. The Thermaldyne products do not seem to have as readily available consumables, etc.

So, the question is...which would you buy and why? They are within $100 of each other so that is not an issue. The use will be typical fab shop with ramping up use on the CNC table on nothing thicker than 3/8", 1/8"-1/4" probably 90% of the time.

Thanks for your help.
    Zach.
    AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
    Miller MM210--now X2
    Hypertherm 380
    Miller autodark hood

Powermax45
    Handheld cut capacity
    Recommended 1/2" (12 mm)
    Maximum 3/4" (19 mm)
    Severance 1" (25 mm)
    Duty cycle 50% @ 45 A, 60% @ 41 A, 100% @ 32 A, 132 V

CutMaster 52
    Cut Capacity
    1/2 in. (12mm) Recommended Cut
    1-1/8 in. (30mm) Maximum Cut
    Duty Cycle 40% @ 60A, 60% @ 55A, 100% @ 50A

I bought the Cutmaster 52 from Cyberweld. More power. Better duty cycle. No problem finding consumables.

GS
    Last edited by GilaSlim; 02-17-2009, 04:01 PM.
    I live in my own little world. That's OK, they understand me here.

Comment

Yeah, those are the specs that make me lean towards the 52. My day-to-day positive experience with my Hypertherm unit is what is holding me back from pulling the trigger.
      AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
      Miller MM210--now X2
      Hypertherm 380
      Miller autodark hood

Comment

ZACHV,

Why move away from a product line you've had good luck with. Makes no sense to me.

Neither of the machines in question are "ideal" for machine cutting 3/8" stock on a CNC table. Handheld yes, machine no.

Machine cuts are based on pierce capability. Will those two machines cut 3/8" material. Yes. But a steady diet, even 10%, will push either.

Sounds like the PM 1000 or Cutmaster 82 would better serve your needs.

Personally, the Hypertherm would be my choice because of where they're made and the support that comes with them. I have both the PM 600 and the PM 1250 and if I bought another plasma, it would be a Hypertherm.
        SundownIII

Syncrowave 250DX, Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200 DX w/CM 3
        MM 251 w/30 A SG
        HH 187 Mig
        XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Pulser
        Dialarc 250 w/HF 15-1
        Hypertherm PM 1250 Plasma
        Victor, Harris, and Smith O/A
        PC Dry Cut Saw and (just added) Wilton (7x12) BS
        Mil Mod 6370-21 Metal Cut Saw
        More grinders than hands (Makita & Dewalt)
        Grizzly 6"x48" Belt Sander
        Access to full fab shop w/CNC Plasma & Waterjet
        Gas mixers (Smith(2) and Thermco)
        Miller BWE and BWE Dig

Comment

Hmmm, that brings up a point. Can we confirm where each unit is manufactured? If the Hypertherm unit is made in the USA and the Thermal Dynamics is not that would be a determining factor.
          AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
          Miller MM210--now X2
          Hypertherm 380
          Miller autodark hood

Comment

ZACHV,

I would hope that you called each manufacturer and asked that specific question.

If you haven't called already, while on the line, ask them a couple of technical questions. The guys at Hypertherm have always been spot on. Once, the tech I had on the line gave me an answer which I was satisfied with. His comment, though, was that he was not the "expert" but the guy who was would be in tomorrow. Took my number. Next day the "expert" called and explained the subject in great detail. (Had to do with "peak" power demands of a particular unit and why they recommended a particular breaker)
            SundownIII

Dynasty 200 DX w/CM 3
            MM 251 w/30 A SG
            HH 187 Mig
            Dialarc 250 w/HF 15-1
            Miller BWE and BWE Dig

Comment

Seems like Zach is good at finding his own info. I remember him blowing the cover off who made the smaller Hypertherm cutters, it was Miller. (The president Of Hyper told him so.)

Comment

Scott V,

I'm assuming that comment was made in jest.

I suspect Hypertherm does just fine making their own "smaller plasma cutters".

Another reason I never trust the internet boards as the "ultimate information source".
                SundownIII

Dynasty 200 DX w/CM 3
                MM 251 w/30 A SG
                HH 187 Mig
                Dialarc 250 w/HF 15-1
                Miller BWE and BWE Dig

Comment

No,
                  when Zach bought his 380, he found out the machines up to 40 amps (I believe it was up to 40 amps) were made by Miller. The E-mail from the Hypertherm President was posted here. Hypertherm use to make their smaller ones and do again, but at the time Miller built the machines and Hypertherm made the torches.

The Pres. said they wanted to concentrate on designing and the making larger units. There will be others that remember too. Thread was deleted.
                  Last edited by Scott V; 02-21-2009, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Just to set the record straight...All of Hypertherms plasma systems except for the smallest system (Powermax190) are designed and built in Hypertherm's Hanover NH factory....all of Hypertherm's torches and consumables....for all systems were designed and are produced at the same facility. This includes the Powermax30, 45, 1000, 1250 and 1650, as well as all of our mechanized systems. If you are ever in NH....look me up and I'll give you a tour of the factory!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Comment

Jim Colt,

If I'm ever going to be in NH, it's not going to be in the next week or so.

You guys are getting the storm that just dumped about 9" of snow in VA.

Good Luck

PS. Next time I'm up your way, I'll take you up on the factory tour. Would like to see where such a fine piece of equipment is made. Used to take friends from the States to the Mercedes and BMW plants when I lived in Germany. They always came away impressed.
                      SundownIII

Dynasty 200 DX w/CM 3
                      MM 251 w/30 A SG
                      HH 187 Mig
                      Dialarc 250 w/HF 15-1
                      Miller BWE and BWE Dig

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                        Jim Colt,

If I'm ever going to be in NH, it's not going to be in the next week or so.

You guys are getting the storm that just dumped about 9" of snow in VA.

Good Luck
                        But up here, the roads are clear before, during and after the storm. Once you get out of your driveway anyway. In VA, it could take a week!

I for one, intend to make the trip to Hanover for a tour. Not sure when, but I may wait until Fall...nothing like northern New England at that time of year!
                        Michael

Comment

Well....for once the Nor'Easter storm didn't hurt us much. Boston and Southern NH got 16 inches or so....we only got 2 to 4 inches. Regardless.....if we get a foot overnight...the kids still go to school and we go to work. Our highway crews are amazing!

I dont recommend NH this time of year if you don't like the cold, the wind, and the snow!

Jim Colt

Comment

From Cyberweld, get you a free Victor Journeyman torch set and regulators with the Cutmaster 52. That's a pretty good reason. eBay it for $250 if you don't need it, and the price isn't so close any more. Or get a free auto-darkening hood, your choice.
                            Precision TIG 275
                            1959 SA-200 F163 Redface
                            Century 250 MIG
                            Thermal Arc Dragster 85
                            Millermatic 140
                            Miller 375 Plasma

Comment

I'm no expert on CNC equipment, but I just love my Hypertherm plasma cutter and after hearing a report on the radio about a month ago, I'm extra glad i bought the thing. Turns out that in that company's entire history , no matter how bad financial times have hit them, they have not laid off one single employee. They've always managed to figure out other ways to survive.
                              Made me proud to have spent my money with them, especially in these times ( considering a few hundred of my neighbors used to work for a company that was not so forward thinking up till last week )
                              Panasonic Gunslinger 261 Mig/Stick, Hypertherm Powermax 30 Plasma

Comment

Working...
                              X