New to plasma cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to plasma cutting

I know most of you out there are probably proffesionals I was curious to know how a plasma cutter works. Things such as the type of amps and volts that are needed to do the cutting. Also if high frequency is used to start the arc. I have a miller tig machine and was wondering if it was possible to hook up a plasma torch and air to it and be able to cut. The machine I have is an ac/dc dial arc with high frequency start or continuos use option. I am mostly looking for the output voltage and amprage to the torch.

Originally posted by dan67 View Post
    I have a miller tig machine and was wondering if it was possible to hook up a plasma torch and air to it and be able to cut.
    Let's just jump directly to the answer to your real question here, and that is: Absolutely no way. Period. Different animals.

NOW... if you're still interested in learning how plasma cutting works, this is a pretty good description, with interactive graphics and good photos:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/plasma-cutter.htm
    Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

I have a miller tig machine and was wondering if it was possible to hook up a plasma torch and air to it and be able to cut.
      Well, let's answer your real question first: Absolutely no way. Period. Different animals.

Now, if you're still interested in how plasma cutting works, here's a pretty good introductory explanation, with interactive graphics and good photos:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/plasma-cutter.htm
      Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Well, let's answer your real question first: Absolutely no way. Period. Different animals.

Now, if you're still interested in how plasma cutting works, there's a pretty good introductory explanation, with interactive graphics and good photos on the website "How Stuff Works," but it won't let me post a link for some reason. Just google that and enter plasma cutting.

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

..BUT Dan, it might be your lucky day, because I will trade you my Riland CUT 40 plasma Cutter for that Miller TIG...Honest! I would do it!
          "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Working...
          X