Hypertherm Powermax 45 Plamsa Cutter Mini 'Review'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypertherm Powermax 45 Plamsa Cutter Mini 'Review'

Hi everyone! Haven't posted here in a while, but I just got a Hypertherm Powermax 45 Plamsa Cutter for xmas!

I finally got to try it today, as it was raining here yesterday, and needless to say I was very very impressed! The unit itself was smaller and more lightweight than my dynasty dx. This was also my first time using a plasma cutter, and it was intuitive to operate! Makes cuts like a hot knife through butta!! Seemed to do very well with thicker materials as well. I would definitely recommend this machine! Im sure ill be posting up some pictures of my upcoming projects!!

-Pete
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Hypertherm Powermax 45

Originally posted by Argon18 View Post
    Hi everyone! Haven't posted here in a while, but I just got a Hypertherm Powermax 45 Plamsa Cutter for xmas!

I finally got to try it today, as it was raining here yesterday, and needless to say I was very very impressed! The unit itself was smaller and more lightweight than my dynasty dx. This was also my first time using a plasma cutter, and it was intuitive to operate! Makes cuts like a hot knife through butta!! Seemed to do very well with thicker materials as well. I would definitely recommend this machine! Im sure ill be posting up some pictures of my upcoming projects!!

-Pete
    Congrats! I just went yesterday and treated myself to a Powermax 30. I havent used it yet because they were out of filters. I ordered a neat little miller filter that should be here by Wed. I am pretty excited about the chance to use it.
    Victor Superrange II OA
    Harris Port-A-Torch
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125 Tombstone
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller 211 Autoset
    Hypertherm Powermax 30 (newest toy)

Comment

how does the 45 do on 1/2" stainless steel?

Comment

gordfraser,

Do you really think the average hobbiest just happens to have a bunch of 1/2" stainless steel plate laying around?

I can't specifically address the PM 45 (never used one) but I do have a PM 600 and a PM 1250 which are of the same family.

Both machines will do EVERYTHING the manufacturer claims they will, and most of the time, more.

The PM 45 is "rated" to cut 1/2" mild steel and 1/2" stainless. Max cut speed is slightly slower for SS vs MS.

Both my plasma's cut SS well. Obviously, the 1250 (80A) is much faster.

A 1/2" plasma cut piece of SS will never have as "clean" a cut as MS, as long as you use compressed air. Different gas mixes will yield a cleaner cut but that's something the average guy doesn't need to concern himself with.

If you plan on cutting a great deal of 1/2" stainless steel, I'd recommend you get on the phone and discuss your requirements with the engineers at Hypertherm.

Bottom Line: Hypertherm machines do what the manufacturer claims. Their product literature clearly states the PM 45 will clean cut 1/2" SS.
        SundownIII

Syncrowave 250DX, Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200 DX w/CM 3
        MM 251 w/30 A SG
        HH 187 Mig
        XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Pulser
        Dialarc 250 w/HF 15-1
        Hypertherm PM 1250 Plasma
        Victor, Harris, and Smith O/A
        PC Dry Cut Saw and (just added) Wilton (7x12) BS
        Mil Mod 6370-21 Metal Cut Saw
        More grinders than hands (Makita & Dewalt)
        Grizzly 6"x48" Belt Sander
        Access to full fab shop w/CNC Plasma & Waterjet
        Gas mixers (Smith(2) and Thermco)
        Miller BWE and BWE Dig

Comment

"If you plan on cutting a great deal of 1/2" stainless steel, I'd recommend you get on the phone and discuss your requirements with the engineers at Hypertherm."
          ...or a Waterjet! What the heck are you making from 1/2" Stainless, anyways, Gordfraser??
          "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Hotfoot,

LMAO at your comment.

Pretty good bet, that even if he cut it, he wouldn't have anything "to put it back together".

You're right though. Even using Nitrogen gas the plasma cut is nowhere comparable to the water jet. When you consider the cost of the base material, we use the waterjet 90% of the time, even though it's considerably slower than the plasma. We're using the Hypertherm HPR260 on the table.
            SundownIII

Syncrowave 250DX, Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200 DX w/CM 3
            MM 251 w/30 A SG
            HH 187 Mig
            XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Pulser
            Dialarc 250 w/HF 15-1
            Hypertherm PM 1250 Plasma
            Victor, Harris, and Smith O/A
            PC Dry Cut Saw and (just added) Wilton (7x12) BS
            Mil Mod 6370-21 Metal Cut Saw
            More grinders than hands (Makita & Dewalt)
            Grizzly 6"x48" Belt Sander
            Access to full fab shop w/CNC Plasma & Waterjet
            Gas mixers (Smith(2) and Thermco)
            Miller BWE and BWE Dig

Comment

Working...
            X