Help! I need to fix my cutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I need to fix my cutter

I have a Hobart Airforce 400 that quit working. When I try to use it it doesnt shoot fire and the cup light blinks. I took it to the local welding shop that sells and repairs them and they had one they used as a parts machine to eliminate parts on mine. They told me mine needs a new PC board and it would cost over $700 for the part and labor. Can anybody help? If I could get the part I am sure I could replace it myself. I have had the machine apart when I bought it from a friend it needed a new filter in it and I replaced that with no troubles. It didnt look like it is to complicated to work on. Any suggestions?

bad board

I am unfamiliar with the unit, but am fair at finding and fixing problems on boards that have failed. Were you using the unit when it failed? Did you see or smell anything burning in unit when it failed? Sending the entire unit to me would be fairly expensive, but would give me the best chance at success. That being said, I may have luck if you sent me the board only. Most places and alot of technicians don't do board level repair as it is time consuming. They like to sell a new board or rebuilt board as it affords them larger profits in a short time. Your old board is then sent off to some place to be repaired and sent back out as new/rebuilt. I make this offer only if you run out of faster options. My shop fee is way below 700.00, usually parts/supplies plus 50.00. If you look at the board and can see something burnt up I maybe able to get you the part if you can give me a part number off the part since you say the shop had a good board to test your machine with. Just compare the bad one with a good one.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you grainger. I will try to get mine apart later this week and take a look at it. Could you email me your contact info? My email is [email protected] Thank you. Do you know how much I could buy a pc board for and just exchange mine?

Comment

Try posting on the miller site too. There are some repair guys that hang out on there.
        I also googled up this site:
        http://www.plccenter.com/repair/defa...ory=&Category=

Good luck.

Comment

Really Good Line

Welderboyjk:

That is a really valuable link!

Thanks

Comment

Hobart hasn't been marketing the Airforce line that long - how old is the machine? Are you sure it isn't in warranty? PC boards are warranted 3 years on these things. Call Hobart's tech support and see if you're covered before you start shelling out money.
            Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Link

WOW! That link is amazing. Now how do I find the part number for my board?

Comment

The repair shop if any good should have checked warranty status. If you don't have a receipt I think the mfgr. goes by build date.
                If I remember right my LWS told me miller got their guts for plasmas from hypertherm (got a powermax 1000 myself), and hobart & miller are both owned by ITW. I just googled miller board repair. It was just one that popped up & looked decent.
                Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by welderboyjk View Post
                  The repair shop if any good should have...
                  That's a big IF.
                  Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
                  Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

If all else fails here is another place you may want to try

http://gemelectronics.ieasysite.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Pat View Post
                      If all else fails here is another place you may want to try

http://gemelectronics.ieasysite.com/
                      I'm in the same boat as the OP, with the same Airforce 400.

Found that site earlier and found a new (rebuilt) board for my unit runs about $220. That's much better than the $630 quoted to me by Hobart for a new board.

To the OP, Good luck. Keep us up to date. Maybe we can both learn something that will benefit the other.

Cheers,

Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X